Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

I wish my cat would sleep in the case instead of climbing on my legs as soon as I tune up, then digs her claws in if I do too much bouncing. Still I will miss her terribly when her time comes. I hope...
  2. Re: Arpeggios - tips and tricks to play these well and how to use

I think I found this here in another context but it was the one thing that really made arpeggios come alive for me, because I found this exercise so much fun! (Your mileage will vary.) Now the first...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Training the Mind

One of the best things about playing music is that you can't think while playing. Sometimes after a good jam I have to remind myself what I'm worried about.
    On the other hand, it is hard not to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Thankful for this forum

Whenever I get kind of stuck, in a slump, I come back here for the cure. It works!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are Cool

What should I say to people who when I tell them I play the mandolin say, "Oh is that like a ukulele?" It makes me homicidal. This has happened three or four times. Certain "friends" like to bait me...
  6. Thread: What is Groove?

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

Re: What is Groove?

If you get it you know it. :cool:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: When or why to upgrade

I'm back!
    I had to be in Seattle and so, as one does, I decided to check out a music store, and Dusty Strings showed a good selection of mandolins on its website. IRL, I was warmly welcomed and...
  8. Replies
    Views

When or why to upgrade

Chapter 1: My husband heard me say enough times that I'd love to play mandolin (I had a guitar I played folky fingerstyle) and he gave me a Rogue from Musicians Friend for Christmas. I was hooked...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

I can play it outside my house without totally choking and bursting into tears.:grin:
  10. Thread: So few women

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

So few women

Too often I am the only representative of my gender at the jam (OT, BG). I have asked the women who sometimes come why they don't come more often. Their reasons involve other obligations: relatives...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Hijacking cat thread with baby.

12. Re: Metronone-How often do you use yours and how do you use it?

I'd been trying to work with a metronome, with clicks on 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 and ended up totally lost and frustrated and wondering what was the point. I kept Googling How to use a metronome and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

Me before I figured out how to make a chop A without cranking my wrist. Having fun anyway.:mandosmiley:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Why electric mandolin?

Thanks to all these many replies. I have been educated!
    I think the emandos I saw were being played like tiny guitars and that's why they sounded like electric guitars. I can see why playing a tiny...
  15. Thread: Jamming nerves!

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jamming nerves!

"Dare to suck" will go with me to every jam from now on.
  16. Thread: What's the key?

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

Re: What's the key?

Brilliant site!
  17. Thread: Accuracy

by Cindy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Accuracy

The only reason I pick up my metronome is to throw it across the room.:mad:
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How is the mandoconomy ?

I get paid in pies. Their deliciousness has not decreased.
  19. Re: Wanted: Free Room & Board for me & my mandolin!!!!!

My wife doesn't understand me "jokes" are funny only if you are an old man or a lesbian. Or apparently from Oz.
  20. Replies
    Views

Why do we love the mandolin?

When people, including me, talk about their mandos and playing they get this shiny-eyed crazy happy look. I dont think anyone but another mandolin player understands the kind of pure, unadulterated...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Being a beginner at a jam...

I sat in on a jam for more than a year before I figured out how to lead a song successfully, but once I did, it has become easy to add more songs and very much fun!
    What I learned:
    1) Learn a...