Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: online jamming?

It's a great idea if you are connected to the fastest network with the fastest equipment, but realistically the network lag will kill a jam. Real-time streaming of music video and sound is very...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: online jamming?

I don’t know of any decent platform that would work for that. But you might consider collaborating online with other musicians where you’d record tracks to make a tune. Some of us have had a lot of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Great Practice Tool!

I was looking through some old posts this morning and ran across a thread about practice tools. A website called www.fbbts.com (Free Bluegrass Backup Tracks) has a good selection of backup tracks in...
  4. Replies
    Views

You Never Can Tell

Long live Chuck Berry

sGKzlgWr_VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKzlgWr_VA
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Different ways of learning

While I follow many of the techniques and use the same sources enumerated above, there is a phenomenon that I sometimes experience and I wonder if any of y'all do as well. I sometimes listen to a...
  6. Replies
    Views

I need to read about the style I am trying to learn because my brain likes to learn logically. I have tried for YEARS to learn to play by ear, it (so far) has never worked for me. I read music and...
  7. Replies
    Views

My learning is generally a combination of ear training, music reading and playing with others. The playing with others gets me hearing pulse and tunes I wouldn't come across playing simply from sheet...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Long Journey Home/Two Dollar Bill

Confidently played & sung. I like your nice, easy approach to playing (as contrasted with my caveman grip!).

Thanks for the tip about Grasstrax as well.
  9. Replies
    Views

When I'm learning a new 'lick' or 'run', or whatever, I always picture the major scale on the fingerboard, and after listening to the lick multiple times, try to approximate it with my index finger...
  10. Replies
    Views

I agree that my learning is a mix of many approaches. I've become much better at learning by ear, but that's taken me a long time. If I hadn't had the option to learn some basic tunes from sheet...
  11. Replies
    Views

Be careful with “no one right way to practice”. While it is true that there are many ways to practice effectively, there are also many ways to practice inefficiently or even counterproductively.
  12. Replies
    Views

I've never ever wanted to duplicate note for note much of anything. The way I learn is watching YouTube videos. Since I write and sing, I pay a lot of attention to singers who play guitar well, and...
  13. Replies
    Views

To keep things interesting, I take several approaches to learning.

Of course I learn specific songs to be able to play with others or just to enjoy playing and/or recording on my own. Learning...
  14. Replies
    Views

Nice work - an inspiration!
  15. Replies
    Views

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.
  16. Replies
    Views

Nice fluid picking! Did you play the back up track too?
  17. Replies
    Views

Solid!
  18. Replies
    Views

Great playing and singing !
  19. Replies
    Views

Very nice playing. I am always amazed how good most of you are, while I still am an advanced noodiler.
  20. Replies
    Views

Thanks. I 'borrowed' a few ideas from your downward G runs. Appreciated.
  21. Replies
    Views

Good work Mark!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

Saw CT with the Punch Brothers in August. During a pre-show Q&A, CT said that he was using a prototype pick he is working on with D'Addario. No other details, such as pick material, size, thickness,...
  23. Replies
    Views

From Mark Wilson - " Notice how forward the pick is in his thumb/finger grip.". In the recent Sam Bush clip that was posted on here,SB seems to hold the pick in much the same way - just as i do. I...
  24. Replies
    Views

There comes a time in threads like these where I feel compelled to point out that Thile thinks long and hard about things like picks, strings, instruments, microphones and how to use them to make...
  25. Replies
    Views

Notice how forward the pick is in his thumb/finger grip. For me it is an optimal position for a loose pick grip.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4