Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-using case stickers

or get a new case to sell the mandolin with and keep your old case with the stickers!

idk. maybe that's too obvious to be clever. If so, I'll shut up!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

National RM1 with hotplate. It won't sound quite like an acoustic mandolin, but it's definitely a mandolin. I agree with Don G. that you'll never be happy trying to compete with electric guitar and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Easiest Jam Tunes to Memorize

I think the biggest thing for me was to learn how to memorize a song. It is a lot more work and requires a lot more repetition than I realized. If you go through it about 10 times a day for a few...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: slipping plectrum

I agree with all the little tricks brought up (especially licking your fingers and then drying them off on your pants to add a little "tack").

One other thing I would say is that I find that if...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Forearm Pain

I have been helped a lot by massage. It is amazing how tight and painful my hand and forearm can get from playing. Both arms benefit. Gaining more length from those muscles and loosening them up all...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Abrupt Changes in Tonal Quality

first thing - change the strings. I've wasted a lot of time on a bad string before...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Acoustic Amps?

consider a Bose L1 Compact system. I know it's a little more money (around 1000), but you can use it for a wide range of applications from solo gigs to acoustic ensembles. It has been fantastic for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: does it matter that much?

i remember being kind of pissed when I rec'd some similar advice about not playing on the 1&3. It took me a while not to be pissed, but it was fundamentally good intentioned advice. But advice that...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Rookie question please

IMO you should use your pinkie for sure. because for C 5578 you're going to use your pinkie - and it's not especially difficult. but maybe not everyone agrees...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: How Do You Intro A Song?

lot's of good advice. one thing i want to say is that kicking off songs is a skill and took me quite a few years to be any good at. it's kind of like taking a solo, but you have to hit it so everyone...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Singing while playing...

It is a lot harder to play and sing than to just play. The more automatic your playing becomes, the easier it will be to sing at the same time. I think many beginners don't realize just how many...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: question about classified section

When you have a potential buyer, you can look through their history of posts on the Cafe (if there are any). I have done this in the past and gotten a very good idea of what the buyer or seller was...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: National RM1 Mandolin

I like mine with flatwounds - thomastics I think. and a bc pick. I had my luthier lower the action at the nut and bridge. The flatwounds mellow out the sound a lot. But it still doesn't sound like a...
  14. Re: Could improper fretting hand technique cause pain in a finger

+1 on getting some setup advice. Worn out frets can make it hard to get a clean sound w/o fretting too hard. A nut that's too high can really make the strings bite when fretting on the first or...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Preamps for ATM350

I predict that you will have problems getting enough volume from a microphone to keep up with a drum kit. It is about the most challenging amplification problem for an acoustic instrument. Using a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What do I need to know about guitar amps?

For rock, blues, metal, etc. (somewhat distorted, not clean, sound) a guitar amp is more important by far than the guitar. There are amplifier technologies with distinctive "distortion" or "breakup"...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Using external Mic on iPhone

you'll need something to amplify the mic before you can put it into the iphone. Do you have a mixer or any kind of preamp? what were you using to interface it to the macbook?

Marc
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass / Old Time Horse Songs

old dangerfield is named after Monroe's horse (I think)

She loves to ride horses (Guy Clark)

Flop Eared Mule ?

Wheel Hoss !
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New to F5 sound - A4 to F5 questions

My first F5 was from a well known medium sized factory and cost around 4k. I was never happy with the lower strings. As it turns out, that particular mandolin didn't have a strong bass response. The...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop turns Sock

More and more i am finding that less = more. Especially in a band setting a clean short chop on 2 and 4 beats a more filling accompaniment. Even in my trio w/ bass and guitar a sparser chop usually...
  21. Re: Can this cold dry weather we've been having affect my action?

Even if the humidity is 40% the swing from 70% would cause the mandolin to shrink somewhat which would make the strings closer to the frets. It's pretty normal to have to make adjustments to the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Explaining chord progressions

Unfortunately not everyone "gets" nashville numbering system. Best to be flexible with what works for the guitars and bass player. The Nashville numbering system should be taught to all elementary...
  23. Re: Where the bleepitybleepbleepbleeper is my tailpiece cover?

I put a little piece of tape in as a shim. working well so far. not as intrusive as the pliers...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting out with Jams, Fast or Slow

You need to talk - you can tell them ahead of time that you don't want a break on anything (and then you can speak up when you want a break). You can vigorously shake your head "no" when they say...
  25. Re: Play thru the pain or ease up for a day or so?

Maybe you are pressing too hard. It took a long time to learn to pick hard on the right hand w/o overgripping w/ the left.

Maybe you need a much lower setup (at least until you develop stronger...
Page 1 of 2 1 2