Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: See think play to auto feel play

A couple of thoughts:

1. When I started performing my playing fell apart, of course, but soon recovered and improved vastly. Learning to do an extra thing (performing, which is a whole new skill)...
  2. Replies
    Views

Hum or sing the notes as you play them. This will build neural connections between what you hear and what your fingers are playing.

The rhythm is in your picking hand. Stay relaxed without...
  3. Replies
    Views

All excellent comments above. :mandosmiley: Especially about the different kinds of memory and thinking.

For me anyway, I see parallels between playing music and touch typing. (Beyond just the...
  4. Replies
    Views

dont't practise scales, practise pieces, chopped into measures
    Sing the melody with your voice, then sing it with your mandolin.
    Avoid thinking - thinking comes from the wrong type of memory, the...
  5. Replies
    Views

I've been working with the Strum Machine backing track tool (www.strummachine.com).

I put on a simple song that I know well (Angeline the Baker, or Bury Me Beneath the Willow) at a slow tempo.
  6. Replies
    Views

Take one or more of the pieces that you have been playing for some time. Memorize it and put the paper away. Think of the mandolin as your voice. You know what these pieces should sound like but use...
  7. Replies
    Views

I like JonZ’s response. Compose some licks.

I’m pretty sure that the “machine gun” players you refer to have built up huge vocabularies of “licks” or phrases they’ve heard, copied, altered or...
  8. Replies
    Views

Rather than practicing scales, practice using scales to make musical lines.

In other words, practice what you want to do.

At first you might just use one scale over a whole tune, but you will...
  9. Replies
    Views

I have nothing to add to all the wisdom in the preceding responses except "Welcome to the forum".

I have hope that all my practice time will one day accumulate to a level where music comes easily...
  10. Replies
    Views

yikes I just wrote a bunch of stuff that probably doesn't apply now that I think about what you asked. All I can say really, is that sometimes it takes a decade to sound like you have been playing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Play daily … Practice scales arpeggios double stops within a group of chords working a given key example G Em C D … two chord three chords whatever suits your ear … make something melodically...
  12. Replies
    Views

I don’t know if your problem is the same as mine, but my problem is that I am comparing myself to players with years or decades more experience than me. I still stumble playing scales and have...
  13. Replies
    Views

Time. sorry about that. The longer you play, the easier it gets to move past the "thinking" and into making music. There really aren't any shortcuts. On the other hand, you can experiment with...
  14. Replies
    Views

I assume you are asking about how to get past producing music that has been "composed" for you. If so (and it isnt just a question of playing faster like Josh Levine implies above), then my take is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Are you faster than when you started out? If so, keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to get faster. There is no magic pill to getting better other than playing + time.