Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Some Real Music - Sierra Ferrell

She was a fixture on the street in the French Quarter for several years, but that's not what this is. Some of the French quarter stuff is R rated.

https://youtu.be/pVPTYr3zDc8
  2. Replies
    Views

Patrick Sky RIP

Patrick Sky, one of the bright lights of the folk scare of the 1960s, a contemporary of Bob Dylan, great friend of Dave Van Ronk, special friend of Buffy Saint-Marie, died Thursday 5/27/21 at the age...
  3. Re: Article: Collings MT2 Cremona Sunburst Finish Giveaway

I guess finishing up at tied for second place isn't a terrible result. Just gotta move up one slot for the next drawing.
  4. I just spoke with Kyle. email addresses and...

I just spoke with Kyle.

email addresses and names don't always give off accurate information so was surprised to learn two things about him:

He is not in Nebraska, which was what I thought the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

'Case lid opens 180 degrees', just like my 90 year old cases do once the ribbon wore out...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

About that Northfield case...

7. Replies
    Views

Klauder and his Sullivan

I love this clip and I love the tone Caleb gets out of that Sullivan...

https://youtu.be/_jrPi4PS0S4

Also, Here is a touching video to watch. John seemed like such a nice guy with a serious...
  8. Replies
    Views

Looking for a mandolin kit?

Arches A-style kits!

These are available right now in the classifieds. NFI. I'm just too far into it for the holiday or I'd probably grab one of these.
  9. Thread: What the

by Drew Streip
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

The melody starts with Julian at 0:12 and is a 2-bar phrase that's repeated four times. It begins again at 0:45. The tune also ends with this melody at 3:15.

The melody is played over a...
  10. Thread: What the

by Ron McMillan
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

Despite the Cafe owner's repeated (and honourable) efforts to defend him, I doubt if Mr Thile worries much about approval from a community nowadays seemingly more concerned by his hair or his clothes...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: PHC to be renamed

That's the best name I've heard so far. :whistling:
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: PHC to be renamed

Maybe we can call it "Hee Haw" ;) What might happen, though, is it sort of morphs back into what the Grand Ol Opry used to be. Like Keillor or not, it was that "alternate universe" that kept it from...
  13. Replies
    Views

10-string mandolin

I just finished this 10-string mandolin for an exhibit at the Robert Bateman Centre in Victoria, BC, Canada. The idea was a group of artists of varying backgrounds all make objects using wood from...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

Dozens of the ETSU students and faculty are good friends and customers of mine; great people who are dedicated and put in a lot of work towards their studies and skills. Name one other school in the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cafe threatened with lawsuit

Awwww, SNAP. You mess with the Tichenor you die a death from a thousand e string pointy end pokes.

Jamie
  16. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Cafe threatened with lawsuit

We received an inquiry from a member a few weeks back asking us to remove a couple of threads, said he was being threatened for them being on this forum and would we remove them? After a few back and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sure they can. People study various performance arts--dancing, playing music and many others. Entertaining and making a connection with an audience can be taught. Doesn't mean everyone can learn it.
  18. Replies
    Views

Not sure how you mean this ti be understood. I get a huge number of promo videos showing that non-college educated musicians can be perfectly incompetent at this also.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: BG literature

Here are some that I own; haven't read all of them completely, but they're useful:

Bluegrass, A History by Neil Rosenberg, University of Illinois Press, 1985 ...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin topics for Elderly Instruments blog

How about a post demonstrating instruments that have certain sound qualities, ie. "Tubby," "woody," "Good Bark," etc.

Those terms always seem to cause confusion around here, and I'd expect that a...
  21. Replies
    Views

I don't think studying the history and influences can be considered overanalyzing, if anything, it's great that it's happening while it's still fresh. Think of the thousands of papers done each year...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega tenor lute with 6 strings

Here's the rest of the band...
  23. Re: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

If you’ve had the Beartooth for a couple of days and”frikkin love it”, it’s a no brainer to me. Buy the Beartooth and continue enjoying it.
  24. Replies
    Views

Vega tenor lute with 6 strings

Seller thinks it's a mandocello, but it ain't. Only 6 tuners!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Jimmy Dean on RFDTV

Here's a few clips from the old WMAL show, Willie. I remember it from maybe 1956 to '59 or so. It was a daily show, weekdays late afternoon I think. Those were good days for TV!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3