Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I’m wondering if the session is just too darn big and you and the music might be better served by finding a smaller one
  2. McFadden's Handsome Daughter: solo octave mandolin

A friend recently requested this tune so I thought I'd take a swing at it with my Weber octave mandolin. My version is loosely based on a solo performance by Frankie Gavin (though he plays it a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard Notation for Tunes

Yikes, a Muse Score 'love fest'! I may as well add my comments...

First the bad stuff. I don't like how they started out as a free app run by some person in England and slowly it was purchased by...
  4. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I sure can, as can almost everyone. I can also think of many that can read music.

I'll put my own experience in practical terms.

I have a friend that plays several musical styles with me.
  5. Re: mandolin etiquette at Old Time sessions?

I wasn't previously entirely conscious of it till hearing Reischman above, but I recognize that I do a lot of that "ringy, stringy", double-string sort of backup playing, totally appropriate in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

How is it a double standard? There's a difference between someone starting a tune and someone trying to learn a tune. It's fairly common at sessions I've attended for tunes to be launched into...
  7. Re: Distressed Mandolin and Regular Playing

For looks, it's relicking. For function, it's modding. Sounds like you swing both ways.
  8. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

Nope. It neither proves nor disproves anything. Even the published study that I linked earlier found differences from age, just not from a vibrating devise. There is evidence that something changed,...
  9. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

What the video demonstrates:

This particular guitar showed an increase in amplitude of the recorded wave-form while the devise was operating (the only data point that I can think of from this...
  10. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

I didn't want to post on this, but this tone traveler thing was just too much.

From the Dr. Herringbone website, on a page entitled "Why it Works" (or something like that):
    "The Tone Traveler...
  11. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The laws of physics state that objects (including guitars and mandolins) vibrate in their normal modes of motion in response to any stimulus and the frequencies of those modes are fixed, not...
  12. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

In case you'd like evidence.
  13. Replies
    Views

Considering the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of people I've introduced the concept of politeness and rules at a pub, a bit of discouragement is the standard response. Most people afterwards have more...
  14. Replies
    Views

Last night at a local pub session, a couple who were leaving the pub came over and put £20 on the table and said thanks.
    Well, the £20 note said "thanks" anyway , I guess. I left before the end but...
  15. Replies
    Views

Not quite the same scenario, but this made me think of the last rehearsal scene from "The Boys From County Clare"
    K6YSdgl5n-M
    (clip contains a liberal scattering of 'vernacular Irish emphasis' so...
  16. Replies
    Views

Ignorance of a particular session's/jam's/whatever's finer points of conduct is no reason to label it intolerant – any situation that combines music-making with social get-togethering is going to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How many of you play 3rd-less chords?

there is two practical reasons to omit 3rds from chord playing:

1) fiddlers, fluters and pipers may want to play a just-intonation 3rd and will resent you pulling them into the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Arch/carved top mandola under 1000$?

My opinion/advice is to look at the reality of the market. I believe (based on my experience) that there are at least 1000 guitar players for every mandolin player (acknowledging the significant...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume vs Tone

When I choose a mandolin, volume is a main consideration, along with tone and playability. If you can't hear it, why bother?
  20. Re: multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage your time?

I don’t, I am entirely ruled by my passions, and I have no control over what I will do next.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Single Note Melody - Is mandolin "easier?"

I think I did. It's a rabbit hole to dive into the minutiae of what makes a good Irish tune and the proclivities of Irish musicians. If someone likes the tune, that's no biggie to me, but it's...
  22. Re: Single Note Melody - Is mandolin "easier?"

Well in fairness, "The Irish Washerwoman" is a pretty simple tune, hence it's one of the many common tunes that learners start out with so I wouldn't be using it as a barometer at all - there are way...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing chords alongside traditional tunes?

I'm going to be the odd one out here: Many times folks think that backing tunes via playing chords is an easy gateway into immediately being able to attend a session and participate rather than...
  24. Replies
    Views

Irish music collection project

I should probably start this thread with an apology in advance for the hours of your life you will never get back. But I won't apologise for the meandering journey of fascinatinon and distractions...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: rhythm problems when writing

I see that the thread you have highlighted dates back twenty years, Werner, and has never been added to since then, as far as I can see. I would say that the responses to Marian's question are...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4