Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

It baffles me that so many people are so attached, emotionally or otherwise, to this thing, Gibson, that has so little impact on their life.
  2. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Hey, Ayo Leo!

With a lot of higher-end instruments, you're paying for the decoration. Inlays, scrolls, points, and bindings are all extra work that your fingers won't feel and your ears won't...
  3. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

Forget the strap. It would be better to buy a nice suit.
    Even with 1000 dollars of lessons most of us still wouldn’t sound like Jethro.
    At least with a nice suit you could look like him.
  4. NMD: Peter Coombe classical flattop mandolin

New mandolin (well mandolins) day. One of Peter Coombe's Classical Flattop mandolins arrived today (and an Eastman MD304, MDA315 & MDO305 have also just arrived but haven't been opened yet).

The...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

I don't baby any of my instruments (IMO), nor am I hard on them. I have worked as a power plant operator for the past 40 years, and have a certain approach/attitude/touch when it comes to using...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Width Preference?

Mandolin nut widths are a big problem for me.
    I prefer mandola and ukes for the width.
    Not a popular point of view.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

Equating bribery to tipping just about proves my point.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiny Moore Tuesday

It's so great to hear from you Joe, long time no see.

Thanks for all the kind words and glad you enjoy the series. I'll be rocking Tiny Moore Tuesday as long as my finger still function...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your Spraying set up?

Also for the record and for Spencer's benefit, I'll chime in with my own experience and some observations. Like John, I use the HF product a great deal, but the cup over, so-called "HVLP" gun w/reg,...
  10. Replies
    Views

James Tailpiece Review

My experience.
    I resisted changing any original parts on my '01 Gibson Sam Bush 5 for a couple of years, remembering Randy Wood's advice to me many years ago: "leave 'em the way you find 'em". But...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Howard and Jethro

I've been a fan of Howard Levy since I don't know when, allthough it might have started when Jethro himself said "Donnie you know who the best mandlin player is? It's Howard Levy! I'm just glad he...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar A-5 drawings?

It is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue for a lot of people to drop all of the Loar unicorns + fairy dust and actually get a job in a factory to see how production...
  13. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Let's not forget that the F-Style mandolin ist basically a cartoon character version of the Italian violin, with F-holes in place and the scroll transplanted from headstock to body. Any modern design...
  14. Replies
    Views

RIP Dick Dale

The king of the surf guitar. The musicians of my youth seem to be leaving us.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

I'll just pick on a couple of instruments, banjo and mandolin. Just because you play them does not mean it's bluegrass. Trampled by turtles, Chris Thile, and you know the rest are just not bluegrass....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone make an 8-string (4 course) violin?

Hardanger, a traditional Norwegian fiddle, has 4 played and 4 drones..
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Archtops of note?

A few things:

One is that I am indeed a retired academic, but also a physical scientist (physical & theoretical chemistry). Sumus quod sumus. I'm not gonna stop being a scientist. It is what I...