Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: new mandolin , no label

What a giant bowl back mandolin!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

We usually start a set with some humor. My band mate has a gift for delivering jokes with ease and an encyclopedic joke knowledge few possess. After we finished our first tune someone yelled out...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Bowl Backs and sound

As someone who knows little about bowl back mandolins but would like to own one someday this information is very helpful. Perhaps someone (David) would give a general outline of the types of...
  4. Re: What do you plan to be doing when You're 104?

Playing old timey music.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this ebony or rosewood?

The difference can usually be noticed in the size of the pores in the wood. Ebony has very small, tight pores whereas the rosewood will show larger, longer pores. Give the fret board a good...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: My new noname mandolin at 15 $

Agree with Ray(T), eastern European. The zero fret and slotted head point that way. The whole thing looks very nice indeed. The inside of the back is interesting, sort of a Christmas wrapping...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Brands gets new CEO

Everything at Gibson will be fine now.
  8. Re: Marty Stuart solo mandolin in KC as a train joins in

Wow, smokin hot.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin vs Banjo

That is an observation about mandolins, they're not joking.
  10. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

i recommend an interview with Wayne Henderson, guitar and mandolin builder in the Boone, NC area. He is successful in the business and is generally accessible. A few videos on YouTube are available.
  11. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

A gargantuan task indeed and no clearly evident reward other than academic insight. Luthiers are most probably motivated by a passion for the work and not visions of riches. The large instrument...
  12. Thread: Blessed

by Hudmister
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blessed

Our little band practices every Tuesday night and we are plugged in and use a PA system. My neighbor's dogs will sometimes start barking. I have never complained about the dogs to my neighbor.
  13. Thread: Gibson F5G

by Hudmister
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5G

The F5G model was built with an ebony fret board up until approx. 2015, at which point they changed to a rosewood fret board. Some people care about this and some don"t.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Petersons

Ended up listening to a half an hours' worth of tunes. Very easy on the ears.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

Playing music with my friends and having fun at rehearsals is what helps keep me feeling young. I look forward to having the joy of music in my life each day. Get that mandolin and don't worry...
  16. Re: buy a Gibson from Guitar Center?-I did, here's what happened

I like mine, bought it at GC. Named it Africa because the wood grain pattern on the back looks a lot like the shape of Africa. Your stories great. Enjoy.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Del playing banjo with Monroe, 1963

Classic Monroe mandolin. A real treat, the tone and timing.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in very cold temps

Gigs in the Florida Keys are starting to sound better and better.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: my eastman G string sounds dull?

Round up the usual suspects, bridge slots and nut slots. A close inspection of the angle the slots are cut, and the slot width can possibly reveal a difference as compared to the other slots. Just...
  20. Thread: Stimudent

by Hudmister
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stimudent

Us mandolin players are known for our sparkling white teeth and fresh breath. You won't find this kind of helpful advice on the banjo forums.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MDO305 Octave

I own one and have only good things to say about it. I always wanted one and the price was right. Comes with a padded gig bag but when I find a hard-shell case that fits it I'll buy it.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking Fiddle Tunes?

Well certainly there are no fiddle tunes that can't be played on a fiddle.
  23. Re: Gibson Must Now Face Antitrust Litigation in Heritage Case

Regarding vigorous enforcement of trademark infringement, there have been copies of well-known Gibson and Martin instruments made for decades, coming from Pacific rim countries and these copies...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: block inlay patterns

Harmony Bat Wing
  25. Re: Bartok and Schubert Lieders .abc files (or vids)

Joyeux Anniversaire. Thanks for sharing.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4