by mandroid
    Replies
    Views

Re: Polls

Like Polled Herefords ?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Wegen Pick

The TF140 is my favorite pick. I like the tone and love the rock solid stability in my hand. Some might produce a better tone (Red Bear) or last forever (Blue Chip), but if I had to pick one, the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Tone I Like

While we're waiting, here's a delightful performance from Maurizio Vitagliani, a member from Italy, with an intriguing pickless technique, or mixture of techniques. I don't even know what to call...
  4. Replies
    Views

Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

Ok, I know I’m pretty new here. I’ve quickly made a couple of friends, not looking for any enemies. I do not know if what I am about to say is some kind of heresy or not, so please forgive me in...
  5. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Today the Music Died

This one?

https://youtu.be/_4FpqrNcbk4
  7. Sierra Hull on her new Clark Octave Mandolin

Wow...

From Sierra's Facebook page: Packing for 22 days on the road starting tomorrow! �� Took a break from laundry to play my new Clark Mandolins octave mandolin. I’ve been recently obsessed with...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Lefties Who Play Righty?

MoreThanQuinn, thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head. We are talking past one another, and there's no reason why our perspectives have to be mutually exclusive -- because they aren't! It...
  9. Replies
    Views

I did not think it was a dominant hand for harder task type of thing. My understanding was more of a foreground background idea. The dominant hand does the foreground things. You hammer the nail with...
  10. Replies
    Views

Seems a weird thing to "choose sides" on, in this day and age, IMHO. Certainly not worth having "such" strong opinions on, to the point of argument. :mad:

Times have changed, but as a kid (60+...
  11. Replies
    Views

This is a very interesting thread, even for us righties. The bottom line, as I see it, is to keep doing whatever you need to do to get better, if getting better is important to you. If I were...
  12. Replies
    Views

When pal Gretchen won the Winfield fiddle contest in '92, a Sam Compton fiddle was the prize. I asked him about making a left handed fiddle for myself, since I'd already made several right hand ones...
  13. Replies
    Views

And another who is lefty who plays righty. Always been this way. When my elementary school wanted me to learn guitar they were shocked when I insisted on learning right handed. No idea why I was that...
  14. Replies
    Views

You certainly don't have to take our word for it. Here's a picture of Chris Thile signing a mandolin using his left hand to write:

I suppose you could argue that he's ambidextrous. The...
  15. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile is a lefty who plays righty. He has no evident problems with speed! It's more about learning and practice, and less about any 'intrinsic' dexterity issues. You can learn to play faster,...
  16. Re: Sierra Hull Deep River Blues tribute to Doc

That Gal could play a broomstick with one string fastened to a hog slop pail man!
  17. Sierra Hull Deep River Blues tribute to Doc

On a tenor guitar.

https://www.facebook.com/SierraHullMusic/videos/10154648694832942/
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Passed my audition today!!!

There's quite a few of us on here who play on Sunday. And you don't have to do everything or even anything "BG style." There are several of us here who play in Catholic Churches, and most of our...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gift for Mentor?

bourbon. the good stuff
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking in a brand new mandolin

Play it everyday. Soon, you will bloom and open up. The instrument will remain the same, pleasing and capable lump of wood as it was on the day you got it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gig Costume

My performance costume involves pearly snap shirts and a mic stand beer holder:grin::cool::mandosmiley:
  22. Replies
    Views

New Take On The Waltz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqWxeQ4Wu0
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's a Chord Melody?

"Chord-Melody" is a fairly general term which might be thought of as "harmonized melody" or "melody in chords". In other words the number of notes of harmony supporting the melody can be 1,2,or 3 on...
  24. New Chord Melody from Aaron Weinstein: Give Me the Simple Life

https://youtu.be/PF7brdJ_WrI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7brdJ_WrI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3iSeFD2YXE4ATpIlteegAYDC9OtYC1r-LYVAp_PJucsK77ShwTWZQTUjk
  25. Re: What's the ideal scale length and string choice for octave?

Just curious... did you have to buy a GS-Mini in order to get the neck or is there a source for necks only?

Wow, that is like "chicken-picking" on an OM! Nice playing. I can see why you might...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4