Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Left-Handed 3-Point F4 Mandolin

I thought I'd share these photos of a rare left-handed F4 that sold here in New Zealand 3 years back.

It was me bidding against another guy - I wanted to buy on spec (I'm right handed) with the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Williams

Well, now! That is just the best story I've seen around here in a while! :))
  3. Replies
    Views

I've loved Don Williams since I was little, and my dad has always been a big fan of his. Fun fact, when my aunt got married about 10-15 years ago now, she said her husband wrote the song "Listen to...
  4. Thread: Don Williams

by jaycat
    Replies
    Views

And in the interest of symmetry, here's a great Ronnie Lane song with some nice mandolin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtg-OIfHHg
  5. Replies
    Views

Seems Danny Flowers played guitar in Don Williams' band, and might well have switched off on mandolin now and then - like here.

Here's an article that goes into a bit of history on the song, and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Incredibly bizarre old banjo-mandolin

Yes missing a gear. A lot of older tuners pulled away from the gear, but turned in the correct direction. It would be called worm over, or worm under.
  7. Replies
    Views

Nice oval hole sound on that mandolin. Don's music was always a bit of sanity in a crazy world.
  8. Replies
    Views

When asked to give a toast at my daughter's wedding the gentle giant came to mind and I built a toast around

You're my bread when I'm hungry
    You're my shelter from troubled winds
    You're my...
  9. Thread: Don Williams

by Scotter
    Replies
    Views

"I can still hear the soft southern winds in the live oak trees.
    And those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me; Hank and Tennessee.
    I guess we're all gonna be what we're gonna be.
    So what do...
  10. Replies
    Views

Harmony Monterey H410 Rescue

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here is a mandolin I purchased on eBay a few weeks ago. It seems to be a bit of a fixer upper, didn’t cost much and I think will make a nice beginners/camp fire instrument.
  11. Thread: Don Williams

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

I, too, have enjoyed Don Williams' sound and style most of my life. And, I never get tired of hearing this particular song - especially with mandolin accompaniment.
  12. Replies
    Views

Ah yes, "The Gentle Giant." Not sure if he's one of the all-time greats, but just about every single was a good song, well-done. His music's easygoing style was so pleasant to hear, yet may have...
  13. Replies
    Views

I've been a fan since his folkie days. His songs never seem over produced and that mandolin is just pleasant.
  14. Thread: Don Williams

by ajh
    Replies
    Views

Live version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWR78buhHbI
  15. Thread: Beatles tunes

by hellindc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Beatles tunes

My band, Mississippi Crossing, does "And Your Bird Can Sing." Here's a cover. I do the guitar lead on mando. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAtGpU_xY8
  16. Re: Good deal on a Big Muddy M2 on Boston CL

I have a walnut backed Big Muddy ("primitive build"), and in general I favor it over my Eastman MD315 ( see avatar).
    Great instrument and a bargain even at brand new price.
  17. Replies
    Views

Carol Kings CHAINS, “My Baby’s Got Me Locked Up in Chains” by the Beatles.
    Works well on Mandolin. Especially so on 8 string electric Mandolin.
  18. Thread: Beatles tunes

by Bren
    Replies
    Views

Steve Earle has done a few Beatles covers, especially "I'm Looking Through You" on "Train a-Comin"

Here's a live festival version with (looks like to me) Tim O'Brien on mando.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Size on an Octave Mandolin

Find an octave on the Weber site. The spec page shows the number. 1 3/8 for a Yellowstone octave.
  20. Re: Any video/audio of Steve Earle's octave mandolin?

I got to see these folks last night. Great show! From where I was sitting I couldn't read the headstock and would've guessed the octave he was playing was a Northfield because of the black tuner...
  21. Thread: Harmony

by jaycat
    Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony

I have one of these bad boys.

I use it for gigs and jams where I'm not too concerned about bumps and bruises.

First thing I did was swap out the tuners for Schallers. The factory ones were...
  22. Thread: Harmony

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony

It might be a new line for Sweetwater but these have been around for a few years. It's just a name but at least they have attempted to duplicate some models. Some of us that grew up when this was all...
  23. Re: Latest build completed today: a renaissance guitar

Recieved this wonderful video a few days ago! Here's a sound and video sample recorded by customer:
    u8pIbNUldhM
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What mandocello music to you listen to?

Yes, it does seem to be difficult, especially for someone like me who started playing late in life as arthritis began creeping in. But I want to argue that it's worth it. Some days I only play a few...
  25. Thread: Keith Richards

by Woyvel
    Replies
    Views

Re: Keith Richards

"Start Me Up" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" aren't the same in standard tuning. Not even close. When I first played my Emando (JBbouvier) 5-string upon unpacking, the Stones "Sad, Sad,...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4