Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

Have you considered trying a thumb pick? Might be worth trying.
  2. Re: Artist/Album Recommendations like Punch Brothers & Sierra Hul

Any albums by Joe K Walsh or Matt Flinner should fit your ears.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

…unless your doing a tune such as Good Luck to the Barley Mow which requires a long pull off the mug in each of the many verses :grin:
  4. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Matt sometimes gives courses with 2 different time slots to accommodate folks on other continents. His lessons cover a variety of musical genres.
  5. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Interesting that Frank appears to be using a thumb pick. Perhaps compensating for thumb joint pain? Or has he always played this way?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: May we revisit (online lesson sites)

Another vote for Matt Flinner. At the completion of each course you can download and keep all of it, videos, sound files and notation/tab. And periodically he does beginner-intermediate material.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Scotland / Ireland

It has been a few years, but my wife and I found a great session in a hotel bar in Killarney. Westport has possibilities; we found a duo, banjo and All Ireland fiddler doing an afternoon pub gig....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa Gathering 2023

This year would have been my 6th, alas a long-planned family trip bumped me this year. I know 3 long time attendees will be keeping me in the loop. I’ll be there vicariously :mandosmiley:

Matt’s...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

What Billy said.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: D-Addario Monels

I put some Curt Mangan monels on my Girouard a few months ago. I was playing with some friends last week, and they said my mando sounded really good.
  11. Re: It’s official. Going on tour is not fun. (TicketMaster etc.)

In addition to their pricing policies, their website is difficult at best. I’m fortunate to have some local independent smaller venues that feature alternative ticket vendors. I despise stadium...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ratcliff Silverangel A #552 arrived

Welcome to Silverangel world. I’m a big fan of the sound.
  13. Thread: Sixties Music

by A-board
    Replies
    Views

Re: Sixties Music

Don’t forget the Canadians: Ian Tyson, Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn to name a few.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

Blue chip for controlled indoor environments, Primetone for outdoors where it might get dropped. I’m liking Wegan on monels.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

Check SongbookPro for Android. I use the Apple version on iPad and find it easy once you get setup. You can connect directly to Echords & Ultimate Guitar through Google Drive and download. You can...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in public domain these days?

“Horsey keep your tail up” is on the list. Gotta learn that one :))
  17. Re: Going to invest in a decent mandolin to last me years any rec

As allenhopkins said, you may not find The One. My 3 are all previously owned and “decent” with unique personalities.

And do you want sound or look? Scrolls are iconic, but the extra cost doesn’t...
  18. I found an online concert video by Railroad Earth...

I found an online concert video by Railroad Earth featuring a fabulous mandolin duet by John Skehan and the late (great) Andy Goessling playing the Cuban dance tune El Cumbanchero which eventually...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Played my first gig

I remember my first open mic session with a guitar playing friend. I was playing into a mic and heard people commenting that they couldn’t hear the mandolin. So I backed away from the mic a little...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Personal Mandolin Monitor

Motorhead mando. Perfect for praise team.:))
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Silverangel

In a recent jam, an accomplished player complemented the sound of my Silverangel. He played it for a few minutes and I had a rare chance to hear it being well played while I faced it. Sounded...
  22. Re: I have an open mike on Saturday and I'm scared to death

You’ll survive. My first open mike was in a small tavern featuring a bunch of neighborhood rockers. During their breaks, it became open mic time. My acoustic guitar friend and I took a slot and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for chording with a hard(ish) pick?

Apparently many of us experience pick rotation. I’ve noticed that part of my problem is index finger opening up. Concentrating on keeping it in that closed fist position might help. Over time, my...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Reverb to start collecting tax IDs

HonketyHank, check with a CPA. That’s a good way to find out how you might be impacted. Maybe just show on 1040 as misc income.

BTW, HonketyHank, that’s a great handle, makes me chuckle.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Hammer-on practice tips?

Just like all aspects of technique, it takes time and practice to develop decent hammer on and pull off. Make it a part of your practice sessions and you should see improvement over time. It...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3