Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. My 4th mandolin build, 2nd one built from scratch

Hello everybody, I have become heavily addicted to building mandolins. My first was an IV F-5 kit, second was the Stew-Mac F-5 kit. Now I’m building from scratch. This mandolin has a compound radius...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Stupid(?) question re: resawing wood

I have a resaw with a 3" wide bandsaw blade. A fence is useful on that saw. On a normal Delta style 14" bandsaw, I cannot recommend using a fence. The problem is that your drift angle is dependent on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Side bending. Is this worth saving?

If you're not using a thin piece of sheet metal bending strap to back the curves, you should. It will help prevent cracks. The more highly figured the grain, less water should be used. Here's a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Summer NAMM 2019 Report

Ok, and on to Weber next. They brought a lot of nice mandolins, a couple octaves, a mandola, and a mandocello.

I'm also attaching all the info provided on the display cards in the booth--though I...
  5. Replies
    Views

USA mandolin, sinked top repair

Bought an USA made mandolin (label says: Columbia mandolin), do some TLC to put it in good shape (cosmetics), then strings it with new strings. The top sinks down on the bass side !!! (I kind of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 10-20 drum sander abrasive roll tip

I buy mine from Sandpaper America. They'll make whatever you want and they've always been a fraction of the cost of anywhere else. They will also make the conveyor belt.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 10-20 drum sander abrasive roll tip

That's a good tip, Levi. As a new Performax owner, you'll probably find Joe Woodworker's ideas on modifying the machine and aligning the drum useful. (https://www.joewoodworker.com/performax.htm) ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge "leaning" toward peghead

Couple things - I always lube the nut and bridge slots with nut sauce or at least graphite. I use a jig to fit the bridge feet to the top. In the case of my 10 string Hardanger viola the height of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about glue

I can't think of any joint in new construction where there is any problem using HHG.

For large gluings such as tops and backs, glue and clamp the blocks first. Then, apply the glue into the seam...
  10. Thread: Necks

by mirwa
    Replies
    Views

Re: Necks

Yes scarfed is way stronger.

A one piece neck has got long grain running the length of the neck, but once it transitions into the headstock it has a long grain length of around 14mm or less, as...
  11. Replies
    Views

Stew-Mac style A kit build

Here's my humble effort at building a mandolin kit. Sadly, Stew-Mac no longer offers this Don MacRostie (Red Diamond) designed kit.

https://i.imgur.com/JK5HUbq.jpg
  12. Replies
    Views

I smell a few myths and few informations that need more clarification in this thread.
    First, traditional glue in woodworking in general is hot hide glue. This glue is extremely strong and creep...
  13. Replies
    Views

At the risk of sounding less than esoteric......I'd say about 98 percent of instrument repair is done with Original Titebond wood glue. It is easy to use, works great, cleans up easy, gives plenty...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Are Eastmans a keeper?

If you cannot hear the difference between a higher end mandolin and the one you own consider that a blessing. There's a whole lot to be said about being satisfied with an instrument you own.
  15. Replies
    Views

A jarana jarocha I built

https://i.imgur.com/aRx1YBi.jpg
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

An old Neapolitan mandolin which has been in for repair and restoration the last 2 months. It goes back to it's owner tomorrow.
    https://i.imgur.com/L11yvcK.jpg