Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Stephen Perry updates, shop running again, located N. Va.

Greetings mando peoples. Things have settled down sufficiently that I'm starting to touch mandolins again. I'm just outside of Old Town Alexandria, VA. After fits and starts, my shop is fully up...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 314 vs 514

Long ago, the differences in production were nicely explained to me:

An experienced old guy loads up his cart with wood. He goes to the carving room. He distributes the prettiest wood to the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Violin

Violin is pretty easy. No frets to trip over, and a big stick. But only if you have excellent trained hearing for intonation, and can relax into the instrument.

The Stringworks instruments are...
  4. Re: What can I expect in quality from upgrade?

"For the most part, yes. Mandolins are finicky little beasts where minor tweaks can yield significant differences." This is rather true. Some of the things that ultimately made a substantial...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A mandolin/violin relative price story

Thank you: "Years ago I got my wife a violin setup (case, bow included) from Stephen Perry for about 5 bills. I am a pretty good judge of tone in acoustic instruments, and to me the thing sounds flat...
  6. Re: Really neat little jig for sharpening small chisels

I'm glad I never realized that the small ones were difficult!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Were I to take up the fiddle ...

That's been my experience. And when I played gamba a lot, I kept finding myself trying to push the frets a little for better intonation!! Rather odd feelings.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: One month with new Eastman MD315

Welding tip reamer. http://www.qiannipicture.com/pic/UploadFile/P0/SKU257493/6BC92603C973CA93360AD299CA9926D226CBFA1383D203169A26D28223C8CECCCEC793CFC78316CDC7A023.jpg
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap tuning

I've found little that has a "substantial" change in tone. However, lots and lots of little adjustments and changes that complement each other hit small jump points that are improvements. These...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I upgrade to a better instrument

I have been through a few mandolins over the years, from rock bottom starter grade through Loar-era Gibsons. More than just touching - looking and working inside, doing all the setup and acoustic...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Soundboard tuning and tone bars/bracing

I've seen some distinctly different than standard arching on a couple of highly acceptable mandolins, which is what got me thinking.

Mandolin arching usually approaches a dome with the sides cut...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on Shellac?

Standard spirit varnish - thousands of recipes - works better than straight shellac. I'd like to say dissolving flakes gives me better results than using freshish Zinser, but I can't tell the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to fiddle (again)

Such whining. No frets to trip over and you get a great big stick.

They're really difficult to play. I found the trick was to lower my standards a whole bunch!! That plus a bit of deafness...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 1704 varnish

Seedlac is orange. For clear varnish, pick the clearest things you can. It's entirely possible to take Zinser dewaxed and simply mix in some dissolved sandarac etc. I use a different formulation I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Violin Bridge vs Mandolin Bridge

Violin bridges filter a continuous input, and have low sustain.
    Violin bridges cut double crowned and maintained in an upright position last a long time. I have seen some 100 years old still...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Low mass adjustable bridge?

Where the weight comes off proves quite important, too.
  17. Steve Perry - let me know if anyone wants a workshop

Moderator's Edit: Please limit solicitations to Classifieds as per Forum Guidelines.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

There are many things to soup up a mandolin. Somewhere on here I have an older version of my mandovoodoo work. Pretty easy, most people won't even try.
  19. Replies
    Views

They don't even want me to handle their mandolins up here. Too many stores already, but there was no problem letting my competitors pick up Eastman in Tennessee when I started with them. I may just...
  20. Replies
    Views

Nobody at Eastman listens to me any more.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Buyer does not cover PayPal fees

I seriously doubt most people actually read the user agreement, or remember it more than 10 minutes.
  22. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

What I notice in very good players is that they check whether an instrument will do what they need. Then whether it does it in the way they like. Until the magic one drops into their hands, and all...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 315 upgrade suggestion, just 1

Find and follow my mandovoodoo instructions. They're on here somewhere. Lots of performance inside the 315, just takes some digging.
  24. Re: Steve Perry - Gianna's definitely relocating Chicago

Mine is 740 lbs, 1400 cc, air and oil cooled (0-60W oil), dry clutch with flywheel, six speed separate gearbox, shaft. Is counterbalanced or something, but still gives a nice kick on takeoff, like a...
  25. Re: Steve Perry - Gianna's definitely relocating Chicago

Try https://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK02IR020431&po=604&pc=3593 for a picture.

I think I'll be fine in my glass tower with my books and cooking. Maybe. I'll take my x...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4