Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins for Bluegrass Music

Because not all oval hole are equal, nor for that matter are all f-hole mandolins. Again, I've heard some old Gibson A5's that hold up fine in BG settings, and I've heard plenty of oval holes that...
  2. Replies
    Views

It’s never a simple comparison, especially with acoustic instruments (IMHO). You can play two of the same model and they often sound different.

It seems like the best advice is to go for a F...
  3. Replies
    Views

Most folks might prefer to just listen. Nice shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KBlaLXOsTg
  4. Replies
    Views

Why doesn't somebody record Bluegrass Stomp (just picking a number @ random) once on an f-hole and once on an oval-hole - same player, same backing music - and measure the difference in volume...
  5. Replies
    Views

I mentioned in my previous thread that my once owned Weber 'Beartooth' oval hole "A" style was powerful - it was. Playing 'chop chords', it was immense. It was easily equal to my Weber "Fern" F...
  6. Replies
    Views

It really depends on the mandolin itself. I've heard a few oval holes (both old Gibsons) that actually worked alright in a BG context. That said, I've also heard plenty of oval holes that sounded...
  7. Replies
    Views

I don’t have the level experience and expertise thay several of the Cafe members have, but I participate in a weekly BG jam and can convey my experience. There are usually 4+ mandolin players...
  8. Replies
    Views

Good to see Old Sausage back on here...

Cover up the round sound hole and see what you hear, I met Charlie Louvin one day in Florida at a festival and we got to talking about Ira`s F-4 mandolin...
  9. Replies
    Views

It would be great though to have such a fine mandolin that you could be incompetent and still sound awesome.
  10. Replies
    Views

Play the instrument you have.

I play old-time and have an f-style with f-holes. A bunch of others in my jam have oval hole F- and A-styles. A friend of mine plays bluegrass and has an A style with...
  11. Replies
    Views

The issue should be your competence in playing the music, not the kind of holes in the mandolin. Keep on pickin'.
  12. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe doesn't seem to have considered it important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTxol40qYmI

There may be a few people around who would be bothered. So what?
  13. Replies
    Views

F-hole mandolins tend to have a sharper attack and quicker decay of the sound. This works well for the ubiquitous bluegrass off-beat mandolin "chop." When playing lead on mandolin breaks, overall...
  14. Replies
    Views

If you play an oval hole and play BG you are hot in bad company. Most of Jimmy Martin’s mandolin players played his F4,Duffy played an A2 for the early Country Gentlemen,Red Rector played an oval...
  15. Replies
    Views

Just to weigh in, I have two f-holes, 2 oval holes and 1 solidbody. The best Bluegrass mandolin is my Epiphone MM-50e, which is an -f-Style with F-holes. I put flat wound strings on my other A-style...
  16. Replies
    Views

I used a Weber 'Beartooth' "A" style oval hole to play Bluegrass until it developed a warped neck. I did also have a Weber "Fern" "F" style as well,but the Beartooth was a hellishly powerful...
  17. Replies
    Views

I agree, and I'm an oval hole guy generally - but the F hole gives you that bluegrass pop in a way the oval hole doesn't. Especially if you're playing acoustically or just around one mic like in the...
  18. Replies
    Views

F holes are better for bluegrass. Doesn't matter if the body style is A or F.

Still, you can play perfectly fine bluegrass on an oval hole mandolin if you really want to, and many have.