Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: E. Barbella (c. 1750): Tinna Nonna - Neapolitan Lullaby

I have just revisited this lullaby by Barbella. This version is faster than my previous recording from 2017 (posted previously in this thread), and uses tremolo on both mandolin parts (my earlier...
  2. Re: Duet No. 9 for mandolin & tenor guitar (G.G. Gastoldi, 1598)

I got out my copy of the Robert Yates edition of these Gastoldi duets again, and have recorded Bicinium No. 10 now as well.

Giovanni Giacomo Gastoldo (1554-1609): Il primo libro della musica a due...
  3. Replies
    Views

Divertimento - Carlo Munier

I made this a few years back but did not publish it. It's from Caro Munier Guitar method.
    Divertimento. The book has some interesting pieces for mandolin.
    It's not the complete Divertimento, sorry,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Bach - Cello Suite No. 5 Sarabande

Hey, it's a just few notes here and there, right? Yeah right...This was deceivingly difficult to play for me. A true tongue twister for my fingers! After literally 40+ takes, this is what I got. ...
  5. Re: E. Barbella (c. 1760): Sonata a due mandolini e basso (Gimo 1

We have recently restarted our weekly mandolin group gatherings, and one of the pieces we played this week was this Barbella sonata for two mandolins and basso, long a favourite from our repertoire...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

THE PENULTIMATE RECORDING! It's hard to believe there's only a single movement left in this project, 14 months after I laid down the first Prelude! This is the other song that I've kind of known...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sorry... fell a little behind posting my recent recordings! This one wasn't as fun for me. It's really hard to get the different melodic lines to come through, and the fingerings and playability of...
  8. Moonlight On The Thames (B. de Pace), mandolin solo

This is a piece from one of my favourite mandolin books: "A Variety Of Mandolin Music", a collection of 36 mandolin pieces from the BMG Magazine (re-)published in 1975 by Clifford Essex in London,...
  9. Replies
    Views

This was a fun song for me to practice: lots of fun little runs to run around with, some fun cross-string jumps, a few harmonics sprinkled in, all good things. This was less fun to record: there were...
  10. Replies
    Views

Minuets by Christian Petzold for Tres Cuban

Menuet BWV Anh 114

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cze3gq_Ptk
  11. Replies
    Views

This is one of the movements where a mandolin can actually outperform a cello. There are several places where the melody note is played, followed a beat later by all the other harmonies of the chord....
  12. Replies
    Views

I felt like I went through a big growing phase practicing for this song. Sort of like computer processor manufacturers go through a tick-tock innovation process, I had a bit of a "tick" this song: my...
  13. Re: San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra Virtual performance

Here is the video...

https://youtu.be/Ph5aaNaCOJs

:mandosmiley:
  14. Minuet from “Don Giovanni”, K 527

This Minuet from “Don Giovanni” (“Don Juan”) K 527 by Mozart has words in Estonian, written by the Estonian poetess Anna Haava (1864-1957): “Suur kontsert algab koidu aal” (Big concerto at the dawn...
  15. Thread: Moonlight Sonata

by Ken_P
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moonlight Sonata

While there are some Beethoven sonatas that I could conceive of making a solo mandolin arrangement of (I've been toying around with the last movement of the Pathetique for a while now), I don't think...
  16. Re: A. Corelli (1710): Sarabande in E minor (Op. 5, No 8), with s

I have just made a new recording of this lovely sarabande, this time with video and without the additional mandolin harmonies -- just a duet of mandolin and tenor guitar. It's a lot of fun to play!...
  17. Seattle Mandolin Orchestra: Virtual video of "Yes Yes Honey"

The Seattle Mandolin Orchestra jumps on the virtual bandwagon with this version of "Yes Yes Honey" by Lennie Niehaus, arranged for mandolin orchestra by our own Tom Hudon. Our friends in Alaska and...
  18. Re: English Country Dance tunes (David M. Brown arrangements)

Corelli's Maggot

During the current lockdown, I've been revisiting a number of the tunes I recorded some years ago and which I have continued playing since then. As I'm a big fan of David's...
  19. A Trip To Paris/Portsmouth (English country dances)

A Trip To Paris (Walsh, 1711) - 0:00
    Portsmouth (Playford, 1701) - 1:30

This is a set of two early 18th century English country dances, "A Trip To Paris" published by John Walsh in 1711, and...
  20. Purcell: Rondeau from Abdelazer Suite

This is the famous Rondeau from Purcell's Abdelazer Suite, in an arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni.

I'm playing the piece on a vintage Italian bowlback mandolin, with accompaniment on...
  21. Duet No. 9 for mandolin & tenor guitar (G.G. Gastoldi, 1598)

Giovanni Giacomo Gastoldi (1549-1609): Il primo libro della musica a due voci (1598)
    Bicinium No. 9

This is the ninth out of twenty duets for non-specified instruments, published by G.G. Gastoldi...
  22. Replies
    Views

Classical mandolin album library list

I am hoping that some of you might be willing to help build a list of favorite classical mandolin albums. If posters could add their two (or more) currently favorite albums when you post, a nice list...
  23. Replies
    Views

Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

I submit for your perusal, critiques, and perhaps even enjoyment, what I have so far in my 2020 new year’s resolution: to record the complete Bach Cello Suites on mandolin, publishing each next...
  24. Bach: Allemande, BWV 1009 (swing version)

This is a swing version, so a little snap on 2. and 4. beat is helpful. Thank you!
    https://youtu.be/SH6x3ZwKmGA

Toomas Rannu
    Flat-backed mandolin, crafted by Viljar Kuusk in 2008 (Tallinn,...
  25. Something I'll remember for the rest of my life

I was talking to a band mate the other day. This is how our conversation went.

Did I tell you about my teacher?

Oh, yes many times. He's very famous. A world renowned performer and highly...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4