Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ornamentations in a Jig

Sounding nice - and your self-appraisal seems fairly accurate. I would say, though, that I am not a fan of the little variation at 1:05, not even the first time round ;) - it deviates a little too...
  2. Replies
    Views

Easy string changing

I keep seeing threads at the Cafe, and on other string instrument forums with people asking how to change strings. Many people seem to be afraid to tackle the task, and people make all sorts of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Shippey "Axe" mandolin and bouzouki

Here's another video from last week when Jon Doran collected his "Axe" Bouzouki from my workshop.
    Jon is singing "Mary and the Soldier" , which many will know from Paul Brady's arrangement.

4. New Celtic music podcast: "Music at the Crossroads"

Hi all,

I started a new Celtic music (mostly Irish) podcast last month. I do a live show on Dublin South FM every Tuesday evening at 6pm GMT. The podcasts go up on MixCloud a day or two after.
  5. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I'm liking the pointy tip and compact shape of the BlueChip Jazz picks at the moment, I seem to hit more triplets than with rounder tips. As for strings I'm using D'Addario EJ74 on an old Gibson A3...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Lovely playing there, James. Your lessons are certainly paying off.
  7. Replies
    Views

I have invested in Marla's lessons from the beginning of her addition to Peghead Nation. Yesterday was my last day of subscription. Going to take a break and work on other projects. I do enjoy her...
  8. Replies
    Views

Lovely stuff there James, well done! I'm doing a 3 day Irish Mandolin intensive workshop with Marla in February '18 - can't wait!
  9. Replies
    Views

No. But I'd like to. Well done!
  10. Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

After a couple of months I have taken my OM back in my hands and tried to arrange two An Dros from France. The fingers are still a bit stiff. Hope you like it anyway :-)...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sleeping Tune

Any Gordon Duncan fans here? I've started to arrange a whole load of his tunes for mandolin and bass, but this is probably his most famous tune. This arrangement is partly improvised and I admit is...
  12. Replies
    Views

A pair of videos - Celtic F mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uaDkE_NDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_StJ3SNvA

Ian and Tom demonstrating the new Celtic F mandolin - enjoy!

Nigel
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Hey Nick, that clip in library sounds mighty fine!

James, that's some sweet tone you get from your oval. Nice jig.
  14. Great archive of some lesser heard tunes!

Someone posted about this over at thesession.org and I've just spent all morning perusing it while I should've been working! It's the Séamus Connolly Collection of Irish Music - each tune is...
  15. Replies
    Views

New Tom Kimber video - Session King tenor

Tom Kimber went around to see Ian Stephenson today to record a video on the new SK tenor which will be on its way to the US in a day or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSkUnZEP7c

nigel...
  16. Replies
    Views

guitar bodied octave mandolin

This one is due out this week -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxlD3KvGiNU&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/guitar-bouzouki/
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: This lady really kills it...

Tamara is a true virtuoso and we are lucky to have her in the New York area. I was able to get her and her group to play at our local library a few years ago. I believe this video is from a film in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: When to play beyond 7th fret?

Well, I more or less concede to foldedpath that the vast majority of times ITM played in first position. Here are some youtubes of some players well known and not, where a contribution is made...
  19. Replies
    Views

Ramblings about triplets and trebles...

I just put up a blog post rambling on about playing triplets and trebles, inspired by the other things I do in my life, namely dog training, and playing the drums - here's a link if any of ye want to...
  20. Re: straw poll: what's your favourite pick for trad/celtic playin

So I sat down with 8 different picks and did a comparison of them all - here's the video of it, and if you want to read my thoughts on them all, here's the post I wrote about it on my blog: Pick...
  21. Holmgång by Ale Carr & Esko Järvelä

Just wanted to pass on a recommendation for this new album by Ale (cittern player from Sweden) and Esko (fiddle player from Finland). A really fine duo album of Scandinavian tunes that is unusual (in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzoukis and capos

As far as I'm concerned, Alec Finn set the bar for bouzouki accompaniment of Irish tunes, and he certainly used a capo. Watch how he handles changing keys/positions with this cheap-o elastic capo (at...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Hi everyone,

I have been giving away the free setup ebook for nearly four years now, and I thought you'd be interested in some observations I have. First off, if you want my free ebook on how to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Enda Scahill's Banjo Tutor

I've just published an article on Enda Scahill's Banjo Tutor on my blog that contains a number of videos of Enda teaching the basics from Volume 1. His tutor, at that level, is also very good for...
  25. Bluegrass festival video - lots and lots of mandolins!

Had a great time at Didmarton Bluegrass Festival here in the UK. Had my carpal tunnel operation seven days before so I didn't take my mandolin but filmed lots of others instead. I did however, get...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3