Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading or authenticity

I fought with the difficulty of adapting my mandolin knowledge to mandola for several years. In fact, there are probably a million and half bitching and moaning posts here on the Cafe about it.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bitterroot F-5

It depends on who made the Webers. Not who signed the label: who made the instrument. Some were made by companies that bought the rights to the Weber name.

I have several Webers. Most were made...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm going to keep a list of them all and try them all. I have a feeling that this is one of those injuries that is going to recur even after it gets better.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My engraving process

Thanks so much for the video! I'm completely enamored by old fashioned hand-and-tool work. That's why all of my inlay are hand cut. It's a total pain in the tuchus and nowhere near as precise as the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite part of instrument building?

Interesting. My least favorite part of a carpentry of any kind is finish--from the sanding to the applying of finish. But ever since the first time I got into the French Polish mindset, I've really...
  6. Replies
    Views

Fletcher tenor guitars?

Does anyone know anything about Jamie Fletcher and the Fletcher Tenors? I am seriously considering purchasing one, but I've never commissioned an instrument by e-commerce, and the only comments I can...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

Your helpful guinea pig here. I've been beating my head against this problem for years and years and my brain is not getting any younger. But now I've got a solution, no thanks to me.

I'm a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a Mandola and I need some advice.

I agree with the advice above: buy the best instrument you can stretch to afford; buy used to maximize your dollars.

In terms of buying at a distance: I've bought instruments from several...
  9. Replies
    Views

A Successful Failure

Last night I decided to give up on my reconstruction of a guitar-body tenor uke/octave mando/mandola that I've been working on for years. I owe a great debt of gratitude to many of you--too many to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Doubt about a banjo for Bluegrass

I tried to tune my 5 string banjo to GDAE and CGDA. Didn't work. I'm not that great with moving from to instrument or tuning to tuning, so maybe it just didn't work for me.

But I think there...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Hey, listen, I do compliance work for businesses, and even though I have decades of experience as a regulator, my compliance clients almost ALWAYS know more about the law than I do. And they're also...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with wrist/thumb pain

I had this problem for a while. It was so bad that I found a physical therapist in Atlanta who had experience in dealing with--get this--stringed instrument musicians. It seems that he'd done PT...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ordering strings--any luck recently?

DaveGinNJ: It's true that the rise of Amazon (and Walmart, and Sams, and Costco) have coincided with the demise of small business. But the reason Amazon, Walmart, Sams, Costco et al are rising...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ordering strings--any luck recently?

I'm a lawyer, I used to worry for The Man, and I used to play banjo. There are a lot of people who would say that that ship sailed a long time ago.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Issues with converted mandocello

My take? Whatever you paid for it is a sunk cost. No sense in regretting it. You thought you were buying a mandocello, but you were buying an experience. Now you have two years of experience with...
  16. Thread: Time to build?

by belbein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Time to build?

It doesn't take me any time. I walk into my shop and time disappears.

Anyway, you're asking the wrong question. "It" doesn't take any time. You take the time. If you want to build one in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Kudos to our administrators and moderators

The administrators and moderators of fora like this have a thankless job. They have to deal with all of the difficult people in the community. And no matter what call they make in a difficult case,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Playing the circle of fifths"

I am a bit of a student of graphic representations of data. The thing about graphic representations is that they are always lies: they're both too general/oversimplified, and too specifically...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

Sherry: There's an easy way to learn. I know because it's the way I learned chords on guitar, banjo, mandolin and mandola. Choose some pieces of music you like. Preferably from a "three chord"...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice cutting dovetails by hand

Man. You must'a grow'd up rich if your neighborhood had cups not beer bottles hanging on the tree!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: KM200S Setup / Bridge Height

Funny you should mention all of this, because one of the next steps in my reconstruction of a ukemando I'm rebuilding is to set the bridge. And unfortunately, I don't believe that the bridge height...
  22. Re: Center line and neck dovetail offset... Am I in trouble?

You guys are no fun. If there's no fight here, I'll have to go back to work.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Another in a long line of stupid questions

Thanks. I've never used a capo, even with banjo, because I didn't see the difficulty of just transposing the chords to another key … particularly when you realize that all of the chord forms occur...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings--winding and leaving?

RE: electric string winder

I don't know if I should admit this publicly, but I use a manual one from my misbegotten banjo days.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Hypothetical Wierd Question ?

"universe-ending apocalyptic singularity that would collapse the universe"

right now, maybe not a bad thing
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4