Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Just arrived: Bumgarner Selmer-style Gypsy Octave Mandolin

That's pretty darn cool. Deserves to appear here for posterity.

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gold Tone Mando cello, bridge question

Drew, that is normal for those. I did some work on one for a friend. The saddle is two pieces and that's exactly how theirs looked.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra playing a Goldtone mandocello

Well, my Gold Tone Mando Cello arrived last week. I was concerned about the shipping with the colder than average temps in NC, but it seems to be fine. So far I am pretty impressed with the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Yeah, that really works. Note the humbucker pickup, which is one of the best ways to grab those bass tones when you're dealing with low-pitched strings. This is a cool song and masterfully done by...
  5. Replies
    Views

I guess that this ends the concern about being too small to play mandocello. :)
  6. Replies
    Views

Sierra playing a Goldtone mandocello

Well you may have seen me attempt to play on a Goldtone mandocello, here is the real deal.

nR_VjBJOP4A
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: another Republic Highway 49 coming

my hwy 49 tenor has an aged polished nickel finish that is really nice. my bright nickel one was too bright and shiny. the neck is a plain wood with a nice dark brown finish and is very...
  8. Thread: New OM

by peter.coombe
    Replies
    Views

New OM

Here is my latest OM. Made as a custom order, and is now in the hands of the happy customer. I am a very happy luthier, it turned out way better than expected, and more will be made in the future. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: another Republic Highway 49 coming

Republic got here today. I like the aged nickel finish. It's a little louder than the Royall, using the same strings. I changed out the undersized tuners. I am playing with a glass slide on my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Recommendations?

I didn't consider too many special requirements when I took the plunge. I just bought the Eastman MDO-305 (sub $800), replaced the strings to D'Adderio mandola set and tuned it up!

It's been my...
  11. Thread: Nomd

by Marcus CA
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nomd

Oooooooh! Welcome down the rabbit hole!

Here are a few resources, some or all of which you may already have found:

Since Brian Oberlin lives in your area, he may be able to either give you OM...
  12. Replies
    Views

11th Tenor Guitar Gathering Virtual Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFyUiFNsCU&list=TLGGtnJLEXxJATAwNDA3MjAyMQ&t=5s

Virtual Concert from Tenor Guitar Gathering 2021

Jean Mann
    Grant Flick
    Tyler Jackson
    John Lawlor
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing a song

I’m a bit puzzled by the fact that no one asks how you go about learning a new tune. What are your sources? I’m asking this because when I got started on mandolin (after ten years of guitar) I was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Royall Tenor Resonator

well, I didn't really know what to expect but it's here and I am very pleased...even the gig bag is good.
    the reso.has a great brassy sound. It is very similar to the Republic Hwy. 49...same...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin | Technique Nightmare

I'm no expert but my Octar has a 24" scale and I have just medium-sized hands so I've had to come up with some coping strategies! Bart's given a ton of good advice already. May I add a few more...
  16. Replies
    Views

Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar - DGBE String Gauges

Hi Frolicks,

Conventional wisdom says around 20 pounds (9 kg) per string or 80 pounds total (36 kg).

13-17-24W-32 is a possible starting point.

You can go up or down in gauges to fit your...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman OM - a one-month review

Here’s a link to a video I made playing Dry and Dusty on the MDO305. Really having a great time getting to know this thing.
  18. Replies
    Views

Gborm? Gbrom?

Well, I guess I just can't keep quiet any longer. In a few weeks, I will receive my third addition to the mandolin stable.

I'm getting a flattop guitar-bodied octave mandolin--with a resonator....
  19. Replies
    Views

A Kala Tenor success story

I see a number of threads from around the time of the Kala tenor guitar's first release that wrestled with whether its 21.5 inch scale length and small body could produce satisfactory results retuned...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chicago Tuning Tenor Guitar

Here you are dulcillini:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/148937-Electric-amp-Acoustic-Tenor-Guitar-String-Gauges
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitar strings for GDAE tunning

Howdy Rick,

fox has sent you down the path that I would take. I have the same recommendations approximately. Different calculators - different results sometimes.

Phosphor Bronze - acoustic -...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New second hand Kala

Couldn't agreed with fox more.

Your initial 12-15-22-30 CGDA looked something like this:
    You can see it is not very balanced. A bit heavy on the high side and floppy on the low.

When...
  23. Replies
    Views

New second hand Kala

Well... it’s been a long time in the works but I finally got my first actual tenor guitar - the well known Kala KA-GTR. Now, I have a couple pseudo conversions (a Taylor 214 Deluxe and a Seagull...
  24. Replies
    Views

GDAE steel string Baritone ukulele

Like many members of this forum I have experimented a great deal with strings looking for the "holy grail" of tone, play-ability and enough volume for playing with others. The abundance of reasonably...
  25. Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

I love tenor guitars, and have some information about how to get a tenor guitar set up for GDAD/GDAE, and a few lessons on GDAD on my website:...
Page 1 of 2 1 2