Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Siveen Mandolins

Hi folks,

I haven't been around much, but recently these Siveen mandolins caught my attention and I've had some very nice conversations with luthier Paul Evans over there in Cahersiveen on the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: String journey on a Collings MT

Caleb, thanks very much for your experimentations and your accounts of the differences. Up at the top, the beginning of your
    experiments you went from J-74s to EFW74 flatwounds, which to me sort...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My strap is constantly slipping

There was a time when I was touring and I spent a lot of time walking with my instrument cases on my shoulder, and the wide straps would need constant adjustment. My wonderful wife suggested that I...
  4. Re: Looking for your opinion on this Breedlove

The FF models sell used, often with pickups, for around $1k, and the oval variation of this one is pretty rare, especially in
    the natural finish. It's priced well below market, so if you like it,...
  5. Re: Who else writes actual songs on their CBOM?

Beth Patterson writes lots of different sorts of music on bouzouki.

www.bethpattersonmusic.com

There was a fellow who posted an instrument here on the Cafe classifieds, perhaps it was a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Loud Mandolin for Irish Trad Sessions

I'll add another bit of admiration for the Arches Flat-Tops. I've had two of them and both were elegantly made, beautiful in tone, and surprisingly loud and articulate in Irish sessions. I think...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Loud Mandolin for Irish Trad Sessions

I'll add my voice to the Arches Flat-Top. I've had two and at the time I found them unsuited to me (I often wish I had one of 'em back), so I passed them on to friends, coincidentally both are...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Revelations to a string cleaning freak

I use standard phosphor bronze strings for guitar & bouzouki, and J-74s for mandolin. I used the little canvas gun patch type things from John Pearse, called String Swipes. I remembered that I have a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Just ordered a Big Muddy M14 mandola

Awww, shucks, thanks! I aspire to be useful.

It's turned out to be a good effort otherwise, too. I polled some of our ol' regulars (most of whom don't live in Blgtn any more...) to ask for...
  10. Replies
    Views

I have a Crump bouzouki and I had a Trillium OM...

I have a Crump bouzouki and I had a Trillium OM here for a while, a 22"-scale, IIRC.

I've met two others since, and played one of those. Mr Abrams makes wonderful, high-quality instruments, but I...