Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Compton Rare & Fine

I have only begun to do a deep dive into this album, which is really amazing. I thought I recognized "Bill's Blues" from somewhere, and dug around the CDs, and turned up Skip Gorman's great "Old...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My Great-Grandpa's Mandolin

We here in the Mandolin Café community can barely contain ourselves when these great "true mando find" stories hit so sorry for the avalanche. We're used to it but for a newbie the sheer quantity of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Duff Mandolin owners in the Southwest USA

Did somebody say show me the one-piece back? 132086

The burst is quite subdued but looks more intense due to the lighting, low autumn sun, etc.

Another front
  4. Replies
    Views

Here's a pic. Red spruce top, Waverlys, varnish finish, small pickguard.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 vs. Gibson F5 vs. Collings MF5

- hilarious.

I can't stress enough that my feelings about going for the black tongue are strictly a matter of taste and I do not think anyone desiring one should be denied that privilege. To...
  6. Replies
    Views

I will say one thing, and YMMV: I think a Duff is not as loud, per se, as a Gibson. Compton says "you have to dig into it" or to that effect, and that is exactly how the Duff is - it will get plenty...
  7. Replies
    Views

I have a 2006 Duff, acquired from Tony Williamson at Mandolin Central. I replaced someone's $1500 down payment and I remember I used to send him a check every once in a while, and finally sold a 2001...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 F-5 Master Model Mandolin

<ordering another box of popcorn> this movie is fantastic. And it's real life. I hope we hear back from Grandson.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe mando camp in Spt

I signed up - attended one back at the Int'l Bluegrass Museum in 2009 I believe and I think I might actually be ready this time. Looks really cool.
  10. Replies
    Views

FYI: www.bluegrassbox.com has posted a house...

FYI: www.bluegrassbox.com has posted a house concert by Mike and David. Having just seen them near Philly, I can say it was quite a treat. Anyway the show is very good, and a must for all you...
  11. Replies
    Views

I respectfully suggest Banjo is not essential....

I respectfully suggest Banjo is not essential. Bluegrass is all over the map. Defining bluegrass is like the IRS's 20 factors to distinguish independant contractors from employees, i.e., a question...