Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Course

The man to learn counter melody and harmony lines from is Dave Surette. He is the master at this. His Green Mandolin and Northern Roots CD have a lot of octave and bouzouki on them.
  2. Re: Sierra Hull playing as half the audience walks away.

I had a cat for almost 20 years, she recently passed. But she loved it when I sang to her, especially in minor keys. Not sure why, but I would make up silly songs, and basically sing her name (Tiger...
  3. Thread: No Way!

by journeybear
    Replies
    Views

Re: No Way!

I imagine the presence of that enormous pipe in the picture, and what may be in it, speaks volumes. ;)

I don't agree with your points regarding the public perception of the seriousness of the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's official Black River Video

lovely song, love the music

first class all the way, typical S Hull
    buying this as soon as it pops out.

here's a live version-that Octave sounds great!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why no Italian genre?

Without Italian, there would be no mandolin!
  6. Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

I have always committed myself to total amateurship in order to keep my musical mind clear of economic undergrowth (coming to think of it, that's more or less what Mozart tried and went bust :grin:)....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are we all going with recorded music?

...which is why I've been gifting my mandolin recordings for over 20 years now... ;)

YMMV...
  8. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

Hey fellow mandolin warriors. To put fears to rest. There are no intensions of ever moving any part of Weber to China. We will remain a domestically built family of instruments.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Best years for a luthier?

This approach seems sorta a wild goose chase. We can make defensible generalizations about a company like Gibson, with its longer history, and its evident changing designs and manufacturing methods:...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolinist - Happiest on a Stage?

I like Del but given my choice....

By the way the Sam really does it right on that song. Less really is more.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolinist - Happiest on a Stage?

I have no idea what you mean. Care to elaborate? :confused:[/QUOTE]

:)) :))

But seriously, it has always been my firm conviction that the happiest player in any band is the bass player - the...
  12. Re: Exciting new workshop pet peeve: cell phone Alan Lomaxes

I haven’t seen exactly that happen but I can see how it could happen. Those little devices are hypnotic in the way they command attention, and people get all caught up in their function, almost to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: When can one rename a tune?

I think of the late 1960s into early 1970s as a golden era for rock music, at least. How much this was influenced by the popularity of psychoactive recreational drugs on the part of both performers...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lost and found 1916 Gibson F2 - Need input

If you are going to get along and play music with these people, you may need to do more than is required by the law. Sometimes being in the right is overrated.
  15. Thread: Duo playing?

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Duo playing?

I struggle with this in my band. What is my role in each song or tune?

There is so much you can be doing it really depends on the style of music and approach you two are taking. My style is to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone in Seattle missing a mandolin?

Whether the mandolin is ever reclaimed has nothing to do with our admiration of Martin's simple gesture... i.e. thinking about someone else.
  17. Re: Placement of Rattlesnake Rattles Inside Instruments

I believe that it happened this way:

"One day Old Bill Monroe was strolling through the forest playing his mandolin. As he rounded the corner of a big boulder, he surprised a large rattlesnake....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Best headstock ever?

It's odd, quirky and very, very appealing
  19. Re: Anyone who doesn't believe that instruments open up from play

I've noted the exact same phenomenon, but at different times of year. I live in the SF bay area, and the humidity stays relatively stable here through the year and typically gets a bit damper in the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Wishnevsky shop fire

I wish someone would put this on the HOME page. I think it is THAT important. Steve was making AFFORDABLE mandocellos as well as guitars and basses.
    He is a strong person and will probably bounce...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Me Before I Get Addicted!

I played guitar for 17 years and loved it. I purchased a mandolin one year ago and never touch my guitar.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris takes a shot at Henry - No mando content

Buy a Larrivee, where the CEO still actually builds some of the guitars.
  23. Re: My mandolin duet with myself playing Brilliancy!

At the speed you chose, (and kept to!) the tune sounds musical, almost pretty, as well as brilliant. . Often it is played so fast and urgently that it sounds merely self-servingly brilliant.

Its a...
  24. My mandolin duet with myself playing Brilliancy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOY9MED5_i0

Hope you guys like it!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Eric, Clarence, and Roland

Super cool. There's a video (silent, with an overdubbed song of theirs) of the brothers playing with some friends in 1958 outdoors on YouTube that I watch once in a while because a recently departed...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4