Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  2. Luke William Wright on Mandocello Monday

I posted this in the Mandolin Mondays thread, but it really belongs here.
    Check out Luke Williams Wright and his wonderful compositions for the mandocello.

Luke is one of the players and...
  3. Thread: Swarb on Mandolin

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Swarb on Mandolin

OK so we all knew he could play mandolin, but rarely seen, this clip of Whippersnapper from 1984 has Swarb tearing it up on mandolin, some great m'cello action later on too...

4. Replies
    Views

Mandocellos at CMSA Kansas City

The CMSA Convention at Kansas City will have a pre-convention mandocello workshop and an open mic mandocello ensemble. The workshop will be with section leader Masataka Hori--check out his website:...
  5. Replies
    Views

1913 Embergher ID

Hey All,

Just got a new old mandolin, wondering if any of you knowledgeable folks could help me correctly identify exactly what I have. From what tiny bit of research I've done, seems like an...
  6. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Player of the Day: Robert Margo

Every year the German government chooses a musical instrument and declares it to be the "Year of the [instrument]". 2023 is the "Year of the Mandolin". The German mandolinist Michael Reichenbach...
  7. Replies
    Views

Owen Hartford, "Family Squabble": PMO

Owen Hartford's wonderful piece "Family Squabble" has been core repertoire of the Providence Mandolin Orchestra for many years. Here is our latest performance featuring two excellent recorder...
  8. Replies
    Views

Piccola Gavotta, for the mandola

In the United States, the "mandola" almost always refers to the instrument tuned CGDA, like the viola. In the early twentieth century it was common for American mandolinists to play original solo...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Hampton Trio Plays Olof Näslund, "Trio"

This is a performance by the Hampton Trio of "Trio" by the Swedish composer Olof Näslund, made for the CMSA's online "Convention in the Clouds" this past November. The performance was first...
  10. Replies
    Views

Alison Stephens memorial tribute online

Just received from the British BMG Federation Committee:

"Saturday 10th October marks the 10th anniversary of the late, great British mandolin maestra Alison Stephens and you are invited to join...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Speranze Perdute

Nice to see all of you from 11 years ago. For convenience here it is embedded. Nice playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Qtp8600Hw
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

The weekend, I've taken some time to cite a few more favorites. I've been deliberate in trying to not double things I've seen already listed on this thread.

Unaccompanied
    De Grebber, Sebastiaan....
  13. Listen to CMSA playing "Magnificent Mountain" at the convention!

The composer of "Magnificent Mountain", Robert Lunn, posted the audio to the premier performance by the Classical Mandolin Society of America last week. Hearing it on this link is amazing--sitting in...
  14. Replies
    Views

CMSA Normal: Draft Workshop Schedule

For anyone attending or thinking about attending, I've attached the draft workshop schedule for the upcoming CMSA convention in Bloomington-Normal IL, October 9 -13. "Draft" because there are...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Newbie: Advice Needed!

Phil,
    I’ve attended 4 CMSAs, I enjoy my time there. Prepare your music the best you can ahead of time & attend the rehearsals & sectionals. Be ready to make lots of notes.
    As far as Mandolin orch...
  16. Replies
    Views

Postcards From the Crater at Bandcamp

I'm pleased to say that our friendly Cafe host has added a short track from my just released, digital-only, recording to the Cafe MP3 collection. Postcards From the Crater is a collection of 10...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin classical literature

Note #3: the Japanese website mentioned in my previous posting does not list works by living Japanese composers but instead redirects users to a separate website.

Note #4: I've attached a copy of...
  18. The Entertainer - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [Tab]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyPP_VTClM

The Entertainer by Scott Joplin

Notation & Tab
  19. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #48

One year review:

Because little blues and blues-related music was being posted or discussed under the category "Jazz, Swing, Blues, Bossa, Choro, Klezmer, Ragtime," I began posting Blues, Stomps,...
  20. New classical release from Joel Hobbs & Jonathan Rudie - Vesper

Joel Hobbs & Jonathan Rudie have a brilliant new classical mandolin and guitar album just released entitled Vesper. Hobbs is the Founder and Director of the Austin Mandolin Orchestra. Available from...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are Cool

22. Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

Dear Mandolin Friends,

Here is my fifth folio of free mandolin trio arrangements for winter. I included 6 carols this year, all of them beautiful and most not well-known. All but two are new...
  23. Re: 2018 Convention of the Classical Mandolin Society of America

Let me add to Doc and David's comments by saying that I agree it was another first rate convention. I can't praise the local host orchestras and the CMSA Board members enough for all of the hard work...
  24. The Hampton Trio: 46 Festival internacional de Musica de Plectro

The Hampton Trio (Beverly Davis, classical guitar; Mark Davis, mandolin; myself, mandola in G) recently appeared at the ‘46 Festival internacional de Musica de Plectro de la Rioja’ in Spain where we...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New here--pick question

As far as overall shape, no, you are not missing something. I may have confused the trade names for the pick materials.
    The picks I refer to are these:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4