Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

I think the expectations game may set you up for failure. When you spend serious money, you probably expect something extraordinary, and if the thing doesn't sound like the Voice of God, you may be...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Which back would you choose?

Today is the 9th anniversary of its arrival. I've sold off all my other mandolins since it came, including some really great ones, including a 1988 Monteleone "Style B." It has cured me of MAS, I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Player at age 63

Ah yes, picks! I've used a Fender medium my entire life as am electric guitarist, and am indifferent enough with guitar picks that I literally punch them out of old hotel card-keys and credit cards....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Player at age 63

Been playing guitar since 1979ish, mandolin since 2011. My fingers are long, but my hands aren't large, but as someone who is used to a much bigger scale, I appreciate the extra real estate that 1...
  5. Re: Interesting: Vintage 1937 Gibson/Kalamaz guitar-bodied Mandoc

I bet "Kalamazoo!" A photo of the one at Players Vintage Instruments:

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ry Cooder isolated mandolin Love in Vain

I love that solo, but that "isolated" track isn't that much better than just listening to it on Amazing Slowdowner. A lot of bleed from other channels for the vocal/mandolin track.
  7. Re: Your thoughts on Ellis A4s and other modern, upper tier ovals

The Gil at TME (now sale pending) is one number from the one I owned. I really thought that thing was bottled lightning, just unbelievably good-sounding. Hard to put back in its case it sounded so...
  8. Thread: My New Duff

by blauserk
    Replies
    Views

Re: My New Duff

Welcome! I'm another guy who came to mandos after decades on guitar. Enjoy the nice regular scales and that great mandolin tone; curse the fact that you have to tune strings to the very same note,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando back or sky?

Gilchrist #701.

http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/701

I asked Steve to pick the chunk of wood he'd use if he was building his own, and that's what he selected. Worked out nicely.
    Here it is...
  10. Nice 2015 Heiden F-5 with gorgeous 1-piece back

At a dealer, not on eBay or Craiglist, but a little bit off the beaten path for mandolin hunters: Lark Street Music.

More pix here: http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/Heiden.jpg
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist "Current builds" page

I'm going to just leave this here.

12. Thread: That Gil

by blauserk
    Replies
    Views

Re: That Gil

Hear hear. Be a great way of finding out exactly how much tone is in the fingers.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Nugget GOM at Carters NFI

And here is Molly Tuttle playing the Nugget at Carter's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-W9N0XB8A
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Nugget GOM at Carters NFI

You can see Tim playing a Nugget GBOM (different instrument--check headstock inlay) at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hl1YNvWzi0

I saw an interview with Fletcher Brock in which...
  15. Replies
    Views

Gilchrist "Current builds" page

The new website has, in addition to comprehensive spreadsheet describing the instruments Gilchrist has already built, a table describing the current batch (#49) he's starting this week. So the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

Which do you prefer and why? I think I have a slight preference for the fuller sound of the guitar body, but I'm wondering if that's because I played guitar for 30+ years before picking up the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando back or sky?

18. Re: Anyone played the Roasted Red Diamond at Music Emporium?

I agree. Great recordings. I particularly like how the Red Diamond sounds there.

Incidentally, great video here of Don McRostie discussing mandolins in which he shows the apparatus he uses to...
  19. Bought the EP on iTunes this evening. I really...

Bought the EP on iTunes this evening. I really enjoy the spare sound of solo mandolin, and the recording is excellent.
  20. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

I'm with the wise Shaun Garrity on this one. A special musical instrument is something transcendent, a taste of the divine. I've had many other hobbies, and appreciate quality in all of them, but...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Acute MAS: Gil fever

I think you can get a good scratch of that itch by buying a Model 1 or a Model 3 (or Model 3 Junior, although I've never played one of those). I think the 1s have a *lot* of the magic of Gilchrists...
  22. Re: Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

Nothing cured me of wanting to have a scroll on my mandolin like having one. You pay such a premium for that ornamentation.

That said, it would be more like $15-16k, but you could get a Gil 5...
  23. Re: Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

I'm a big believer in visual aids. Note the front row.
  24. Re: Mandolins in $9k - $14K range that sound close to a Gilchrist

I think all of the Gilchrists, even the ovals, have a certain "family resemblance" in the sound. But I think a Gil Model 3 (or maybe even Model 3 Junior) would get you all the way there.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel 1-A #70

Not a "5" really--it's the 1-A, kind of his "Junior" model, with binding only around the top and not on the fingerboard or back. They are great mandolins and sound wonderful. I don't know if he has...
Page 1 of 2 1 2