Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Acoustic Amps?

I use a ZT Amplification Acoustic Lunchbox for smaller jobs and a Bose L1 Compact for slighter larger gigs. I’ve been extremely happy with both. Where I have to go into a house PA I use my Radial...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo for Octave/Bouzouki

Shubb or Paige here.
  3. Re: What sort of mandolin would a pirate have?

Old Wave?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Phil Davidson Mandolins

Hi Seamus... I usually sit next to someone in sessions who plays the more expensive carved top Davidson and it is a fine instrument (I’ve tried it out also). If you’re up my way to try the TKL case...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: UK Hard Case?

I have a TKL Prestige that my Old Wave A4 lives in when not being played. Your’re welcome to try your Eastman in it if you’re up my way.
  6. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Pick: Bluechip TAD50-1R or TAD40
    Mandolins and strings: Old Wave Oval A with J74s/National RM-1 with FW74s/Taran Springwell with GHS A275s/Gary Nava 2-point with Jazzmando JM11s. After...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: UK Hard Case?

All of my mandolins are larger than “standard” but all will fit into Hiscox cases, of which I have two. Bulkier than most cases for sure but at least excellent protection. I doubt my Taran Springwell...
  8. Thread: Capo?

by Shelagh Moore
    Replies
    Views

Re: Capo?

I’ve been playing mando for 50+ years and very rarely use a capo. But I do have one and do choose to use it very occasionally, for instance if I think it helps with the tone or voicing I’m looking...
  9. Re: How do you answer "what is that thing?", when playing a mando

Most people seem to to be able to recognise a mandolin and, if not, I always very politely tell them what it is. My National RM-1 often intrigues people though as most haven't seen anything like it,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on Portable Music Stand

I've use a RATstand Jazz stand for very many years and have been very happy with it.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Taran Springwell Mandolin

I'll also post a sound clip of mine when I get a chance to record one. Great mandolins!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

Some of us pre-date that self-appointed arbiter of all that is correct in ITM/traditional music.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

Hi Dagger... at least for me it works in a very expressive and tasteful way as well.
  14. Re: Si Bheag Si Mhor (guitar and acoustic bass)

Tasteful!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Any truth to sanding...?

The finish can make a big difference. I've restored a couple of cheap mandolins that seemed to have around a 1mm thick lacquer finish and sanded and refinished them in Tru-Oil. The difference and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Are they really worth it?

I resisted Blue Chips for years because of the price, especially here in the UK, as well as the hype and have tried most brands of pick over several decades. Now I have a couple of them and prefer...
  17. Re: Irish tenor banjo - Open back or Resonator?

I'm still using my 17 fret Vega Whyte Laydie in sessions. The rim on mine is 10.75" and, as mentioned before, I usually play with the resonator on (it takes just a few seconds to spin off if needed)....
  18. Replies
    Views

More bark anyone?

This came up through my social media... perhaps of interest to anyone wanting to make a mandolin with more "bark"! :)

19. Replies
    Views

Re: A Mandolin strap

Yes Ron, I know that trick and have used it before but I now go for a more elegant solution...!;)
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin set-up tools

I have built up an assorted bag of tools, some dedicated luthier items and others adapted or cannibalised over the years. I particularly find fine needle files, a small slotting saw, good clamps and...
  21. Re: JazzMando flatwound strings - what's an equivalent today

I also use the EFW-74 set on my RM-1 and they are good. I still have one or two sets of JM-11s which I use on my Nava and I am sorry to see them go. I think e-Mando (Martin Stillion of this parish)...
  22. Re: A reel on my new to me Kala tenor guitar!

Nice playing Jill! By a coincidence I have been using my tenor (CGDA-tuned) more recently as well.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo number of notes

That's the approach I tend to take as well.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Flat Top Mandolins?

Gary Nava must be added to the list... outstanding flat tops! Here are a few photos of mine...

25. Re: Mandolin as "other esoteric acoustic instrument"

Actually, in the four or five Irish music sessions I regularly go to, there are often several mandolins. It's often the most frequent instrument there after fiddles and whistles.

Such statements...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4