Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Who played the mandolin on Allen Jackson's Remember When"

The man that played that session was the same one who's done the fiddle on his records for the last 20 years. None other than Stuart Duncan. It was played on his custom built Gibson that he received...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Kentucky KM-1000B

I just saw this thread today. Sitting in the floor not 6 feet from me is the first black topped KM1000 they ever made. It was a special order by a Saga dealer friend of mine who also ordered a KM1500...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The forgotten inside?

Not really necessary except for aesthetics. If it's dirty inside, I've poured a little uncooked white rice into fiddles and slid that around in there like moving a frying pan to clean it up a bit.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Bill Monroe

Pretty cheesy and mechanical. If you want to get immersed in Bill's style you can listen to him or for a more refined sounding Bill-ish player, go youtube Mike Compton doing solo stuff and re-watch...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Star Spangled Banner

This is my favorite version. What better instrument to play it on than the human voice?

http://youtu.be/Vwxv-EZpb7U
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Gilchrist on Gibson and Varnish...........

Anytime I see finishes artificially "distressed" like that in the photo above, they always look too extreme to be caused by natural aging and therefore phony looking. I've never seen a vintage Gibson...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sharpening (Burnishing) Scrapers

A good friend of mine is an inventor/ tool maker and not long ago gave a seminar on this subject for the Gwinnett Woodworkers Association who recorded it. It's a bit long but you'll dang sure know...
  8. Thread: Engraving inlays

by Tim W
    Replies
    Views

Re: Engraving inlays

Any time the graver wanders off the path you choose it is for one of two reasons. Graver control, as in holding the graver tip into the work at a consistent angle, and graver sharpness. The latter is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield NF-F5S or Kentucky KM1000/1500

I have both of those you mentioned, an 85' KM1000 black top and a Northfield. Get the Northfield.
    Kentucky master models are a hit and miss affair and I've only heard 3 of them that I'd own since I...
  10. Replies
    Views

A new pairing of two virtuosos I hope

I want to hear what happens when Chris Thile and Joshua Bell team up to do a duet album of Bach or other chamber, classical music of their choosing. Just the two of them.

I've listened to Chris in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Just tell me, what could be sexier than that right there?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

I let Aaron play mine last weekend and it is a few serial numbers from his, probably from the same trees. He spotted something wrong with mine that I hadn't noticed; the saddle was on backwards which...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

I had the honor of going to see Marty's setup since I'm local and a tool freak. He's a very productive individual and obviously thinks a lot! Thanks for the tour and I don't know if it matters to all...
  14. Thread: Peg head poster

by Tim W
    Replies
    Views

Peg head poster

I'm going to try and post a photo I took years and years ago of a poster that I would like to know if it is still available anywhere. I don't know where it came from or who produced it. Any ideas?