Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Weird phenomenon: strings going sharp when detuning?

The shop, which has a Grammy winner on staff, said they inquired exhaustively of their suppliers. The modern Ohana tiple apparently uses machines not compatible with my ancient Regal or whatever it...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Owsley Mandolin Hayes, Virginia...

My reaction, too. Yeah, back in the day on Haight Street, before I was entrusted with a mandolin. Makes me recall my infant daughter peeing on Jerry Garcia.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: On stage banter

It's beside me at this very moment. P.68 has good advice on encores.

Nye collected many songs and cut numerous albums but never was a star. I'd advise any would-be performers to carefully note how...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Slower is faster

"I got no kick against modern jazz
    Unless they start to play it too darn fast
    They lose the magic of the melody
    Until it sounds just like a symphony"
    --C.Berry
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Got my first mandolin back!

Ditto, but for me it's guitars. That ended a quarter-century ago. I especially miss an old Kay dreadnought with a thin fast neck. None of my mandos has ever escaped my clutches. They'll go to the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with treating a mandolin properly

This was the OP's first and (so far) only post. OP gave no hint about what mandolin, where they're located, or their playing conditions, so it's rather difficult to diagnose a cause. FWIW my many...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguards, or not?

It's easy. If the mando lacks a pickguard, use a felt pick. :)
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

Could be that OP is not familiar with standard guitar tuning or the 'Chicago' subset that turns a fifths instrument into a big bright 'ukulele. OM tuning is G2 D3 A3 E4; tenor tuning is C3 G3 D4 A4,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Let’s talk ovals Vs f’s

For volume, I play grandpa's heavy century-old banjo-mandolin with steel fingerpicks. Cuts through everything.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest crazy idea - the "Faux Mandola!"

The Rogue's parallel is the 'uke world is the Dolphin taropatch 8-string 17-inch tenor, US$100 shipped. Get two sets of Aquila 31U fifths strings and tune down a 5th. Instant mandola or mand'uke, and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get started for a Newbie

Where do you see yourself going? What do you expect of yourself and your instrument? Why do you play, and for whom? Are you happy to play for yourself and to hell with any listeners? Do you want to...
  12. Re: How am I different from all the other mandolinists? (ruminati

I'll propose a few different classes of musicians.

* Duffers: A guitar, mando, banjo, 'uke, dulcimer, autoharp or whatever is in the house and is played every now and then for no purpose other...