Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace - Glen Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843tlu1DFA0&index=3&list=RDrqTrVAJU_K8

Probably my favorite recording of this song. Any other favorite Campbell clips?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Videos

Body And Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WBbWDmbq0
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile does Bill Monroe

Did anybody listen to the original Monroe version that is linked in post#5?

Same frantic pace, same incredible speed and amount of notes as the Thile version...methinks that thou dost protest and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile does Bill Monroe

jk-EzGF292M

I love this stuff.
  5. Replies
    Views

Pretty Little Goat

Loving this group.

And getting it done with a flatty!!

cts7J2eRTQM

1SyHr56H0SU
  6. Thread: Lace Pickup

by Bad Monkey
    Replies
    Views

Re: Lace Pickup

Like mandroid stated above, it'll work with J74's. As long as you're running it into an amp you won't need a preamp. If you're running direct into the board you'll need a DI box to match impedance. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sonatas for mandolin

I've been working on a series of Sonatas for mandolin in the style of the 18th century Italian composers like Barbella, Gervasio and Battista. It's a style I really like and I hope to do a lot more...
  8. A Treasure Trove of Tiny, Johnny and Jethro

And that Eldon Shamblin guy on guitar.

Blues in G followed by Fat Boy Rag

jEwnnXPtlMI

Some fiddling

q3X1lJLFNC4
  9. Re: Post your favorite clips from U-Tube, let's start a collectio

Just saw this posted on facebook. Quiet, sparse, lovely. A little flourish on mandolin. Not sure by whom, as there are three mandolinists listed in the credits. One of them is Sam Bush, but I don't...
  10. Re: Tim O'Brien on Marty Stuart Show (fiddle)

I've watched this video multiple times and it moves me every time. It's a great tune, and Tim O's rendition is soul stirring to say the least (the man is a certifiable national treasure in my book). ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Marty Stuart on Letterman...with Mando!

Seeing Marty on the mandolin has become something of a rarity, which makes this even more of a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHEdAlAdDM
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Orange Blossom Special on the Mandolin

I hate to be the contrarian but this is just about the worst tune in bluegrass. It's a show off tune for fiddle players for audiences that don't know what good fiddling really sounds like. I'd rather...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios vs. Pentatonic scale

I am a big fan of pentatonic scales used as both a key center or as an extended arpeggio. Here is a short video I produced showing an intermediate to advanced technique using pentatonic scales as...
  14. Thread: Small PA idea

by TonyP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Small PA idea

I've done several assisted living homes and at first we went in loaded for bear with the usual system the first time. All it did was scare folks. We ended up not using it and it was fine. The main...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Reliance on scales

I think your practicing of scales is excellent, for the ear training, ear finger key association training, knowing what each note does in a scale and knowing how a note can have an ambiguous...
  16. Re: what was/is your biggest problem as a beginner?

Here's the thing I found: you have to learn how to play twice. Once alone in your room, and once again with or in front of other people. I believe the reason is that when you're practicing alone in...
  17. Re: VIDEO: David Bromberg & Mark Cosgrove - Summer Wages

What's wrong with that? Sounds like classic Bromberg to me. He's always had a "unique" vocal style. I'ts real mucis by real people. Two voices, two instruments. There's no place to hide.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in the key of F

Alan, you're dead wrong!

Rule: Singer gets to choose their key, unless there are other valid extenuating reasons

The key chosen makes it to difficult/impossible to sing the harmony part(s)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in the key of F

Guessing is poor advice and it makes very little sense to retune and learn new fingerings for one particular key.
    Also there's no particular advantage to having the root and fifth open.

The...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Stuck in D and G...

Turn off the TV for starters.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Best smartphone tuner app for mandolin?

Going back to part of the Original Post..

Wouldn't you have to retreat to the bathroom to use those?
    since all you have is the Microphone in the Phone, to hear the pitch.

and in a room...
  22. Re: What's the best footrest (Don't have time to build my own)?

A case of beer is my favorite footrest. I usually find its a little too tall though and after the removal of a few I'm sure I sound better. Some might ask. What about when its all gone? No...
  23. Re: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

cXDL6_3gFu0

This was in another post, I believe. I went ahead and embedded for you. It's a great video that bears to be repeated. :)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: My Gibson Master Model Story

From a newbie's perspective, this thread is a little disturbing. The notion that a good setup is THE most important thing in bringing out the best in a mandolin is probably single most repeated...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Do i have it wrong or am i just a contrary?

Age old mystery. Musicians listen and hear music differently than non musicians . Mystery solved .
Page 1 of 2 1 2