Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacement tuners for Big Muddy

You might reach out to Mike Dulak at Big Muddy and get the specs and see if he has a recommendation for replacements.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendation for an OM?

I made this suggestion to another poster recently, but you may want to move your post to the CBOM section where it might be seen my more people who play these types of instruments. The old Flatiron...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendation for an OM?

You can get some pretty nice things at that price point. The problem is it's hard to just get out and play some. I would find as many video clips as you can to get a sense of the different voices...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacement bridge for Trinity College Octave

If possible, I'd have a luthier make or at least order and fit one for you. I think the odds of getting an off the rack bridge you'de be satisfied with are not so good. Can you show a photo of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: stores with mandolins in New England

Diamond Cove Music in Gloucester, Ma. has a decent selection of Eastman mandolins.
  6. Re: What's are some good guitar soundhole pickups?

The L R Baggs M1 is a good choice. Available as active or passive.
  7. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

I still enjoy bands. I listen to Danu, Malinky, Old Blind Dogs, Bua, Tannahill Weavers. I also like Barry and Laura Kerr, Ye Vagabonds. It would help to know what you've got that you don't like to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Petersen Octave Mandolin

I have a 2012 Level 1 I bought used from Bernunzio's a couple of years ago. Scale is about 22". I use the GHS phos bronze octave mando set which runs 12/22/32/44.
    I use it pretty exclusively for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chord Questions

C Major 7th

A minor
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ye Vagabonds live in Whelans during lockdown

Those guys are really special. Same excitement i felt hearing Paul Brady or Mick Hanley the first time.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Boston-area repair people and luthiers

I would highly recommend Bill Tippin in Marblehead, though you would definitely need a car to get there. Jon Mouradian in Wilmington is also excellent but again, car.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Boston/Cambridge Music Stores?

If you want to see mandolins, I don't think there's anything much in Boston or Cambridge anymore. The Music Emporium, somewhat west of Cambridge in Lexington is fabulous but I wouldn't call it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Accompanying a guitarists who tunes down

If things get really desperate, you could always rehearse.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How to choose a mandolin teacher

The place I've been teaching offers a free initial trial lesson. See about that if you can. As others have implied, be specific to both the teacher and yourself what you want to do. Ask questions....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Any arguments AGAINST MAS?

The fact that they all have a different feel is a major reason to own more than one instrument, in my opinion. I've been in situations where a wide neck is great for some things and a narrow neck is...
  16. Thread: Buying online

by Steve L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Buying online

Hi Jeff, I might not agree with your point of view but I really appreciate the friendly tone of your response. Thank you for that and all the best to you.
  17. Re: Heads up - My Tune-A-Week project over in the Videos subforum

Really good...nice bounce in the rhythm. That mandolin really sounds fabulous.
  18. Re: Beginner Seeking Advice - Guitar or Octave Mandolin?

If your primary need is for song accompaniment, there's a reason most singer/songwriters play guitar. It's usually the best tool for that job. Consider that it's going to be easier and cheaper to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

The battery life complaint seems to be a huge variable. I own a lot of Snarks and use them often. I have one in my teaching studio that I use multiple times every day. The batteries in all of mine...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

That's a problem but I wouldn't call it damage. I tighten a small zip tie around the receptacle for the ball joint as those can break easily.That will sometimes repair a broken one if only one tab...
  21. Thread: Alec Finn RIP

by Steve L
    Replies
    Views

RIP Alec Finn

Sad news today about the passing of Alec Finn. Truly a giant in our little corner of the world.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/1116/1011338-de-dannann-co-founder-alec-finn-dies-aged-74/
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: About my Mandolin “Lyon and Healy”

Brian Dean/Labraid Mandolins builds L&H style mandolins. He's amazing.

http://www.labraid.ca/lyon-healy/
  23. Thread: Dunlop Picks

by Steve L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dunlop Picks

I used the green .88 Tortex version of those for a long time. A couple of years ago, I did a 180 and switched to the 1.3 round shouldered Primetone...both Dunlop products. I just realized I use...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

I do think it's a more idiomatic expression from bluegrass music. I don't use it myself but I don't have any negativity about people who do.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help with Jigs

Marla Fibish, Kevin McLeod, Dave Surrette, Luke Plumb, and some Youtube searches might expose you to some nice stuff.

That being said, 4 months isn't a long time to be playing and jigs are a big...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4