Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: F5 Upgrade Guidance - Gibson, Collings, Northfield

I agree with this completely. When I went shopping for a mandolin to replace my Eastman, I played a lot of Gibsons and Collings. They were the two available at my local shop. Seemed like Gibson...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra on Fretboard Journal

Her technique is flawless and her left hand precision is just phenomenal. When I watch her, I feel like the mandolin MUST be super easy to play because she makes it look so smooth and fluid. It’s...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate "Clown Barf" Extra Stiff Pick

I think they should start doing mandolin binding in the clown barf color. I have a Collings MF in honey and it’s bound in tortoiseshell and I think it would look a lot nicer bound in CB. Maybe a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins for Bluegrass Music

It’s never a simple comparison, especially with acoustic instruments (IMHO). You can play two of the same model and they often sound different.

It seems like the best advice is to go for a F...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin strings

I too put 14-49 mandola strings on my 20” scale OM. I like it!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins for Bluegrass Music

I don’t have the level experience and expertise thay several of the Cafe members have, but I participate in a weekly BG jam and can convey my experience. There are usually 4+ mandolin players...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Quality: You Be the Judge [pics]

The pictures look like crap compared to the ones I’ve owned/seen/played.

If I were a dealer I would have sent it back to Eastman and not tried to sell it. That’s not typical for Eastman even...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner mandolin purchase advice

No disagreement that GC will likely not do a pro job on the strings or bridge, but if it arrived with rusty strings and he might not want to keep it anyway, it seems like putting that back on GC is a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: First gig cramps.

That is my issue as well. My hands tense up when I'm nervous and it starts to hurt like crazy. I'm probably squeezing too tight. Next thing you know my hands stop cooperating and I can't feel my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Opinions on inspiring a new student?

My motivation was (in order of importance):
    1) Playing an instrument is a chick magnet (perhaps I'm the exception to the rule though).
    2) I liked the sound of guitar/mando and wanted to play it as...
  11. Thread: Reverse MAS?

by Sothoth
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reverse MAS?

After looking at the images on the back of those Silverangels, I'd be less worried about being a newbie in a jam and more worried about God thinking my fingers were unworthy to touch it or that if I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Md615 or save up a little more?

After going through this myself, I concur with the other folks who say if you want a real upgrade, go for a Weber Yellowstone or better, a Collings, Northfield, or something similar.

I have two...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings? Weber? Other recommendation?

Update... I played a few Webers again and compared to a few Collings. My immediate findings are that 1) I highly prefer a nut width greater than 1-1/8", and really enjoyed a Weber Yellowstone in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Collins? Weber? Other recommendation?

Dave, to me it's more about wanting to support smaller, local luthiers now that I can afford to do so. I also want the mandolin to feel like my soulmate this time. My Eastman was a great value and...