Here's a pic of the ebony inlaid buttons

2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post Your Ellis A5

Here is the front of my oval hole.124364
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

A new thread on the blue chip and still rants about the price. I don't know about you guys but if I go to a really good steak restaurant it's going to cost me $30 to $45 for a really good prime cut...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

I have met Chris twice, once while wandering around Winterhawk in the mid-90's before Nickel Creek really blew up and once backstage between sets with David Grier at a show in Charlottesville, VA in...
  5. Replies
    Views

I know a lot of mandolin players on the planet. I know a lot of people that have played with Chris. I know a lot of people that have done business with him. I know the people well that have...
  6. Replies
    Views

Hi Hoshibang,

I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Yes, I guess you could say that Jimmy Fallon is 'well known'. As you no doubt discovered on Wikipedia, he's the relatively new...
  7. Replies
    Views

I thought it wasn't all that bad for network TV fare.
  8. Replies
    Views

Thile has always reminded me of Sam Bush, with the gyrations and such. He really seems to get totally absorbed by the music. It may not be old time Bluegrass, but the man can play and the vocals were...
  9. Replies
    Views

My bet is that the average viewer of the Tonight Show would have a difficult time distinguishing Bluegrass from Country. I could be wrong but the homogenization of music genres is more to blame for...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Some things irritating in the classified

That's understandable, but surely you would agree that it would be quite a leap of faith for someone to purchase a used mandolin from a stranger without so much as a photo of it? At the very least,...
  11. Replies
    Views

My new Girouard A-5 pumpkintop

Hi folks, Here's a few photos of my new mando. There's also a little video Lauri took in the shop, which I will try to post later. Max and Lauri Girouard did a wonderful job, and they were great to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender's new Mando-Strat

The minute a mandolin is electrified, it no longer sounds like a "traditional mandolin." Doesn't matter if it's 8 strings or 4. The minute you remove the air being pushed in the mandolin body, it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile: Too Many Notes!!

I would say you gotta love it, but apparently, you don't gotta. I, on the other hand, love his musicality,humor, talent, creativity and etc. This was great.
  14. Replies
    Views

Pava Pro pictures

We've had a few request for pictures of the Pava Pro model. We finally got one to pose for the camera before heading off to it's dealer destination, The Mandolin Store.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening-up", Myth or Fact?

Welcome to the forum. Scientifically, there is evidence that this can happen. As witness to this fact, Bill Monroe's Loar definitely opened up after a break-in period.
  16. Free Album Download on Amazon at least for today (Apr 6)

Available for free download from amazon.com today (not sure how long the deal will last) is Mountain Home Music Company's "Bluegrass Mastery, Vol. 1".

Can be seen here:...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fender Emando

Dan, OFM4UP at Moongazer. I spoke with Tom at Moongazer before I ordered, it looks like he's now clarified it on the bridge page.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Rumor: Ellis quitting mandolin construction

To respond directly to the question. No, I'm not retiring or quitting. That rumor was probably in reference to my bass playing career (but now the Gray Sky Boys want to crank it up again and buy a...
  19. Hamilton de Holanda in Fall River, MA, September 2012

I am pleased to report that Hamilton de Holanda will be appearing 9/11/12 at the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA. www.ncfta.org. This is his first appearance in the US in 4 or so years,...