1. Replies
    Views

Re: The merry Ploughboy?

Try. www.thesession.org

Not many Irish tunes they haven't got.

Dave H
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin same tuning as a tenor banjo?

Well, I play tenor (C-G-D-A) and mandolin. The intervals are the same, but obviously the tenor is a fifth lower, like a mandola. Nevertheless, whatever I learn one one, I try on the other, without...
  3. Replies
    Views

Why not just learn the 5 string banjo? They are fun and they repel a lot of folks you don’t want to hang with anyway.
  4. Replies
    Views

When you say you can EASILY play the same mandolin tunes I would think twice on that. Very much longer scale so with all respect due, I doubt you'd be ab;e to EASILY play your mandolin stuff. Best...
  5. Replies
    Views

You can tune an instrument any way you want AS LONG AS you use appropriate string gauges. It takes a bit of research and experimentation, but it can be done. That said, before I decided if I wanted...
  6. Replies
    Views

I have had a Windsor tenor banjo since the early seventies - the only one I've ever owned and I play it at most of my gigs.

It has quite a short neck which makes it ideal for Celtic music. I buy...
  7. Replies
    Views

Something needs to be clarified here. The only banjos that can be tuned exactly the same as mandolins are mandolin-banjos and ukulele-banjos. They can be tuned G [directly below middle C] - D - A -...
  8. Thread: Dirty old town tab

by JPS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dirty old town tab

I taught myself this song, on a whim, last week. I'll have to sit down and pick it to be sure, but this tab takes a few odd turns I wouldn't think to take. That's not to say they're wrong,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Dirty old town tab

I don't know this song but after a listen I think there are a few notes missing. There are eight phrases to this song. The first three are on the first line and the fourth one is missing. It is a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Galway Girl (Steve Earle) Questions

This is a nice version for getting a feel for the rhythm, even has a lefty bouzouki in it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7-PM_4aeE4
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Galway Girl (Steve Earle) Questions

"Strums" can be so much of a feel thing that describing them often misses the point or, more literally, the feel. Plus, there's often left-hand muting besides whatever up & down the right hand is...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Slipping plectrum

get some violin rosin. Make a bit of dust. Drag your index and thumb on the dust where the finger touches the pick.

No more problems!

f-d
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: slipping plectrum

Everyone goes through this. I don't think the solution is special equipment. The most common reason for this is gripping too tightly (I know - counterintuitive). Try to relax your grip (if you are...
  14. Replies
    Views

I find that when I’ve got my index finger properly curled in my pick grip, the crease of the first joint on my index finger forms a little pocket or backstop that the back edge of the pick can rest...
  15. Replies
    Views

+1 on the Gorilla Snot
    Especially in this super dry winter weather. My hands get so dry I have a hard time gripping much of anything.
  16. Replies
    Views

I agree with all the little tricks brought up (especially licking your fingers and then drying them off on your pants to add a little "tack").

One other thing I would say is that I find that if...
  17. Replies
    Views

Like most people I've had this problem some of the time, especially when I first started. To some extent it may be an individual thing, each person's skin may differ in terms of natural moisture or...
  18. Replies
    Views

A drop of tincture of propolis on each side of the plectrum is what I use. When the alcohol has evaporated, it leaves the propolis, which is naturally sticky.
  19. Replies
    Views

I've had a triangle pick slip and move from one point to the next while playing a break. Half way around it was a bit of bother and distraction
  20. Replies
    Views

Well …. this is a problem most all players have when they first start playing. A stated above you can roughen the pick surface with a bit of sandpaper or an emery board, glue some cork or sandpaper...
  21. Thread: Slipping plectrum

by CES
    Replies
    Views

I like 1.4 mm larger triangle shaped picks. Blue Chip or Wegens for the most part. The advice above is all good...just keep at it, it’ll come. I can remember having the same issue when I first...
  22. Replies
    Views

You might try just cleaning the pick with soap and water. The natural oils in skin (or hand lotion, if you use any) do tend to make the pick more slippery, if I don't do this every so often.
  23. Replies
    Views

Generally you get the hang of holding it but there are just days when your skin is too dry to hold any pick and for that reason I always have Gorilla Snot handy. You don't need very much.
  24. Replies
    Views

I use 1.5 mm, and I suspect you'll find that many here are in that range. I tend to favor more rounded than pointed. Others may prefer more pointed.
  25. Replies
    Views

What foldedpath said.

I'll just add that playing with a smooth pick allows you to seamlessly switch between picks, without thinking about or even relying on special modifications.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3