Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Soloing, breaks and improvisations

For those like me who didn't immediately know what "neighbor tones" were, I Googled it and found this helpful resource on Open Music Theory entitled "Embellishing Tones".
  2. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile covering 1952 VBL

This was posted today on the Richard Thompson email discussion list:

cPgqb8s-V9g

Martin
    (Founder member of the RT list - going since 1993!)
  3. Re: Chris Eldridge and Dominick Leslie - Watson's Blues

Finally, after a couple years, I got around to transcribing Dom's intro and solo in this video. FINALLY! I should've done it sooner because there are some badass phrasing in this song by both of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I really enjoyed that. Nice playing from the whole band.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Good morning all.

FYI: Sampler #1 being mailed to Paul Merlo today. Top pick reviews, recipient list updates, and more coming soon. In the meantime, here's the latest family portrait.

6. Replies
    Views

Another Desperado number from the Great 48: Bluegrass Breakdown.

I had Nina Weisman and Josh Gooding up to play mando with me on this one; Nina is one of the foremost female Monroe Stylists and...
  7. Replies
    Views

I recently gave a solo concert on mandolin and mandola (GDAE, European bowl back) for the Boston Classical Guitar Society's "Sunday Sounds Series" at the Hingham Public Library, Hingham MA. Videos...
  8. Replies
    Views

Scott Tichenor interview

Current episode of Grass Talk Radio is an interview with Scott Tichener, the man behind Mandolin Cafe.
    http://www.bradleylaird.com/podcast/episode-16-show-notes.html
  9. Replies
    Views

nice job, you sound good to me.
  10. Replies
    Views

Very nice and bouncy - Bravi!
  11. Replies
    Views

Nicely done Matt!...Cool tune!
  12. Replies
    Views

A little video of my band Stillwater Hill doing Dark Hollow. I especially like the espresso machine around 2:00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuFTrWwcrk
  13. Replies
    Views

Check it out in all it's glory folks, the original and infamous Pick Sampler #1:

It seems to be more or less intact since the last inventory many recipients ago with some interesting...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

You're all very photogenic! Unlike us.

15. Replies
    Views

And just like that we're back in business. :mandosmiley:

No worries Matt. This isn't the first time the sampler was laid aside for a time and I'll bet it's not the last.

For those...
  16. Replies
    Views

Hi all,

just a quick note to confirm the sampler arrived in good order at my place. My biggest test time will be this weekend I think, and when done I'll return it to Mattslouch for him to send it...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Prairie Home Companion Mic

My guess is it's a Neumann KM-184 based on this other recent (?) photo where the same shock mount is used and the red logo is visible (zoom in on the photo):
  18. Replies
    Views

Sampler #1 is now on its way to Mattslouch across the Atlantic! Matt, I'll send you a PM later today after work with tracking numbers and all that business. Also will type up my thoughts on the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Howdy all,

Unless anyone has a problem with it, I'd like to make a some minor changes to the recipient lists because Sampler 1 is about to head to Mattslouch in the UK and Radish (next in line for...
  20. Replies
    Views

Hey folks. Things have been a bit hectic with holidays and gigs and festivals, but I'm getting ready to ship sampler 1. Went out and purchased some more of those pages with pockets in them to hold...
  21. Replies
    Views

Another New World - Chris Thile

Hey I thought this community may be interested in this. I transcribed Chris Thile's performance of Josh Ritter's "Another New World" as seen in this video:
  22. Replies
    Views

First of all, Let's hear a big round of applause for all of us, and Chris Daniels in particular, for rebooting the Traveling Pick Sampler and keeping this going. Yet another fine example of what a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Finding chords and double stops

A couple of helpful resources for finding and building chords and double stops around the neck. Both in PDF form

John McGann's Guide to Triads: http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/triad.html
  24. Replies
    Views

Dealing with both pick samplers in one place might lead to some mild confusion but since I'm trying to shepherd both along until a more sustainable method can be found it's much easier for me to deal...
  25. Replies
    Views

My apologies to everyone, I have received the pick sample from Hossamassy two weeks ago. I hadn't been on the site in a while to see the concerns. I am ready to send them on and will reach out to...
Page 1 of 2 1 2