Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Proud Kentucky Pickers - Let's see 'em!!

I'm a proud Kentucky picker......come from a long line of proud Kentuckians since the late 1700's113047
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Opening up and breaking in

Absolutely! I'm not sure how much you'll be able to notice...as I'm using just the Ipad to record with right now, but I plan on keeping almost like a You-Tube video diary of my learning as I tackle a...
  3. Re: Thoughts on F styles with non-trad headstocks

This is a great thread...
    I for one wonder why someone hasn't made a slotted headstock on a carved top "A" or "F" model before? Now that would be different. I actually really love slotted...
  4. Re: Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

Maybe that's my problem...I have this big gut just swallowing up the whole back part of my mandolin....in effect acting like a giant damper (joking)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best pickers

Cool Nick....which one are you in the video!?

Well in my opinion, I've always felt that way about guitar players at jams in my experience...Seems that many of them just can't hold down basic...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post an "Artsy" Picture Your Mando!

here yah go....it's a work of art, that's for sure ( mine is of course )112681112682
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F9, F5G, F5L?

Well to be honest why would the carving and building techniques differ from their high end mandolins as opposed to the F9's. The only difference in "A" grade as opposed to "AA" or "AAA" grade Spruce...
  8. Re: Best Source for tabs to some of Adam Steffey's interpretation

If you have any more of these...please keep them coming....by the way...your officially my new best friend ;)
  9. Re: Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

My Flatiron Fest "F" I got in 2000 was a "Nashville Flat" and it started out kinda sucky but after it broke in it sounded really great, it had parallel tone bars and a quirky miss-bookmatched back of...
  10. Re: Is a Gibson F5G a "Professional" Instrument?

I agree, it's the musician not the instrument. I woulf think of any Gibson F-9 or F5G as a "professional" instrument....heck even a $1500 "A" model or "F" model could even be considered a pro...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Video of my new Eddie Blevins F5

Actually quite a bit of argentine music. I'm not as much a fan of the tango as I am the "Zamba" and "El Malambo" which is more Argentine folkloric music. Here is a video of a now defunct but famous...
  12. Replies
    Views

Hey guys....for anyone who's maybe interested:
    I'm happy to report that my Blevins mandolin is sounding better all the time...I just can't get over how much I love the radius fingerboard on this...
  13. Re: The artistic (and touchy) side of private builders?!?!

Well....for what it's worth, I looked at the photo and can't see any binding out of whack, I think it looks purty nice. This builder seems to prefer a very tight and pronounced scroll with a nice...
  14. Re: What made you start playing mandolin?

What a great thread!
    I've always been heavily influenced by my family from western Kentucky, especially my grandparents or "popaw" as we called him. From the time I was really small, I would spend 3...
  15. Re: Kentucky 855 Fit and Finish - Should I return it?

To me just looks like the binding was poorly scraped in the inside of the scroll area, not to mention the routing channel was not really even so when they bound it they did a botched job with some...
  16. Recent flurry of stolen mandolins

After having my house broken into back in May here in Argentina and my custom fretless banjo stolen, I can understand the pain that these folks are going through and it breaks my heart. It was the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a video of your mandolin?

Thanks for your comments....your jazzy electric mandolin playing sounds really great as well. This is my new Eddie Blevins F5 custom built mandolin that I picked up and brought back to Argentina with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Here's a better video in better lighting of my new Blevins mandolin....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3XvxeVr9NY&list=UUwyBHou8HTGt1D8rxO3J80w
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a video of your mandolin?

I've been working on my version of "East Tennessee Blues" I am going to clean it up this weekend and respost it on this thread.
  20. Replies
    Views

Tell me about it! He has some super pipes.....especially when he doesn't get his way! He loves music though, he was complaining because he's been sick with a bit of fever due to teething. Normally he...
  21. Replies
    Views

Here is a couple of more videos of me playing the only instrumental I ever wrote. It's called "The Owensboro Boogie" in honor of Owensboro Kentucky where I have alot of family living. It's a bluesy...
  22. Replies
    Views

Video of my new Eddie Blevins F5

Well...I'm back in Argentina now after having a wonderful Thanksgiving in the US with my family. While I was there I accepted delivery on my new Eddie Blevins F5 and I thought I'd take the time to...
  23. Re: Funny thing happened on the way to a blacktop

very cool!
  24. Re: Small builder build quality vs. Factory

It does seem that their are better and more higher quality choices from factory builders today as opposed to several years ago. Ive been able to glean alot of that from reading alot of threads here...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening-up", Myth or Fact?

Well I wish I had the link to where I read this, however I believe there have been a few studies done about this. One that I read ( albeit a long time ago ) is that the cells in Spruce tend to dry...
Page 1 of 2 1 2