Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Academy (Baron Collins-Hill)

Following :popcorn:

I've been mulling over signing up for his academy. Baron's instruction has been a big boost to my learning lately. I almost sound good when I play after 7 years.
  2. Re: Musical Mechanics Courses - ArtistWorks? (I am a TOTAL Newbie

I started with Mike Marshall on ArtistWorks in 2017. That, along with some of the free online teaching, really helped get me started. Basic music theory and ear training are helpful since you have no...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin- My Latest Build

Very nice. I'm looking forward to a sound clip if you get the opportunity.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

I went with Mike Marshall/ArtistWorks when I started my mandolin journey in 2017. He starts from the ground up whereas some other instructors have an expectation of certain knowledge and/or skill...
  5. Thread: RIP Loretta Lynn

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Loretta Lynn

She was a true pioneer and down-to-earth. RIP.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun Just Ordered

I've been very happy with my Calhoun. Had it for almost 2 years now. Mellow compared to my The Loar 520 and not as loud. Hope you enjoy yours!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 unrelated mando questions

Occasionally, I have problems with the tuner picking up the E string. Plucking closer to the bridge always takes care of it.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Struggling with left hand

Welcome to the Cafe, Martin. And, welcome to your journey with the mandolin. It sounds like you need to work on your posture - not just sitting with the mandolin but, also, how you hold it. I started...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Player at age 63

Sorry you had the flu. Hope you're on the mend. Hang in there. Lots of good advice here. I've had great experiences with the Cafe sponsors on my purchases. If you see something you like, give them a...
  10. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

I started out playing the organ as a pre-teen with a teacher that went straight from the sheet music. She was good and I'm thankful for the basics she instilled in my young brain but my...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: only been playing a short while

Left hand is different from guitar on mandolin and a lot of that is hand positioning on the neck. Keep the neck off the palm of your hand. What helped me is to think back on my organ lessons as a kid...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

I find it quite interesting, and humorous, that a thread about not practicing has gone this far. Even more, that I follow this thread and have read every post. Now I don't feel all alone. :grin:
  13. Thread: Don Williams

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

Re: Don Williams

I, too, have enjoyed Don Williams' sound and style most of my life. And, I never get tired of hearing this particular song - especially with mandolin accompaniment.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind test of 6 different bowlbacks

Yeah, I saw the mustaches, too. Pretty funny. I was curious how I would rank them visually compared to my rankings last night and I see that #3 is also my favorite to look at. However, I like the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind test of 6 different bowlbacks

Bowlbacks are beautiful instruments. They interest me because they are part of the mandolin family and have such a rich history. This looked like an interesting challenge so I gave it the one-time...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

No. As much as I love playing my instruments, I've never named a single one. I just call them by what they are. Same way with all my other belongings. Names, to me, are reserved for people and pets.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Jam – A Primer?

Glad you could make it to the jam today, Sherry. Thanks for the observations. I'll look into them, as well.
  18. Re: An Alternative Way to Keep an A Mandolin in Place

I was given the same advice by Mike when I first started out on ArtistWorks. It killed my back by hunching over like he does - even with a foot rest and trying different chairs - so I just discarded...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Ergonomic musician's chairs

Here's my journey. When I first started playing mandolin, this was a major consideration for me since I was having serious back problems from old sports injuries. I experimented with all of the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Experiences with ArtistWorks

I subscribed to Mike Marshall's course on AW twice - once when I first started playing mandolin in 2017 and again in 2019 when they ran a deep-discount special. In between times, I subscribed to...
  21. Thread: Mandolin stands

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin stands

Or German Shepherds. That's why mine stay on the wall or in a case.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretting sharp on the 12th fret E string

I understand why you sold yours. If I wasn't so happy with mine, I would sell it. Even when I upgrade here in a year or two, it will probably remain my beater.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Substantial sale at Bernunzio's

Allen, I was doing real good this year controlling my MAS while looking through the Classifieds and some of the Cafe sponsors' sites, then you had to go and post this. Now I'm trying to talk myself...
  24. Thread: Mandolin stands

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin stands

+1 for the Hercules stand. It gives an extra level of security IMO.
  25. Thread: Little Sadie

by FredK
    Replies
    Views

Re: Little Sadie

Great job, Mark. I enjoyed that. Good way to end up my day.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3