Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Switching up Genres for a moment

Well played, Andy. Lovely to hear a solo instrument on a work like this.
  2. Replies
    Views

Nice, well played.

Dave H
  3. Replies
    Views

Nicely done! Always a treat to hear Bach on a cold afternoon!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical Music Song Book

Sorry to be a stickler but the proper spelling of this is sight reading. Site reading is reading the theads on the Mandolin Cafe. In any case, the more your read notation the more you will become...
  5. Replies
    Views

Jim and Maczart are certainly right, you just have to be able to make sense of standard notation, no need to become a fluent sight reader, but I think your ability to sight read will increase with...
  6. Replies
    Views

Some sites I know are http://mandolintab.org/category/classical/ and https://www.8notes.com/mandolin/classical/sheet_music/.

The letter one contains some pieces from Bach, Beethoven, Mozart,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yep, Jim is right on. There is a difference between being able to read notation and sight reading. Fluent sight reading ability is not really necessary for learning a piece. Just being able to get...
  8. Replies
    Views

There is absolutely nothing wrong with memorizing a classical piece. In fact, I believe that if you can do it it only would enhance the playing and performance of the piece. BTW mere notation reading...
  9. Replies
    Views

You might want to pick up a copy of 'J.S. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Mandolin' edited by Daniel Sellman. It contains the 3 Sonatas and 3 Partitas for solo violin in both notation and mandolin tab...
  10. Replies
    Views

If you are interested in Baroque music, you might like "Favourite Mandolin Solos from the 18th Century", which is downloadable from Astute Music....
  11. Replies
    Views

Mandolin cafe member August Watters has an excellent book, much discussed in various forum pages, called Exploring Classical Mandolin, that I've found extremely useful as someone who came to mandolin...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Nickle Strings

This is good news! I have been really liking the Nickel Bronze strings on my guitars, and would be first in line to try them on the mandolin.
  13. Thread: Nickle Strings

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nickle Strings

Just talked to GHS and the nickel they are using is the most pure nickel available at (if I remember correctly) 99.6%. They are not sure of a time frame to be available to the public, but are...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Typical Mandolin Cafe! :grin: The OP wrote to say that she broke a single E string. So, here we go, advising her to remove and replace every single one of her old strings, study up on several...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How to practice with limited time...

JonZ, I think you have completely missed the purpose of a metronome.
  16. Replies
    Views

Many many excellent players and teachers disagree with you here :)
  17. Replies
    Views

"Errors"? That's a tad harsh. I think it's just a difference of opinion, or a different way to look at it.

Playing with a metronome requires extreme focus on the timing of the clicks and...
  18. Replies
    Views

I think there's a lot to be absorbed by this series of articles: The Art and Science of Effective Practice.

It's written for clawhammer banjo players, but the concepts apply across all...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: D-TAR External Pickup

Here is a picture of my f-style with external piezos.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1461671459

It works fine here. I do not get pick noise or surface noise. Tone is pretty decent...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: why does my A string sound flat?

I'll chime in as another who hears the A as sounding sour and flat when going strictly by an electronic tuner. Like others, I tend to take the same approach I do on my fiddles. I will tune all the...
  21. Replies
    Views

I used a stick on Schaller ' Oyster ' pick up for a long time before I upgraded, worked perfectly and sounded very good, just very inconvenient.

Dave H
  22. Replies
    Views

They hear a Lot of what surface they are attached to ,,
    so you will hear Bumps, and such, that wouldn't be so pronounced with a Mic on a stand ..
  23. Replies
    Views

While I don't have that specific pick-up, I put mine behind the bridge between the E and A courses. I guess start there.
  24. Re: New (to me) Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante: I NEED More Info

The Elegante uses curly maple binding which would be difficult to bend. I imagine someone made a stylistic decision shortly after breaking a few pieces of binding "attempting" to fully bind the...
  25. Re: New (to me) Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante: I NEED More Info

I recently sold my MK Legacy FS-E that I bought new in 2009, which was made in South Korea and sold for around $700 at the time. It must have been one of the last ones before the move to China. But...
Page 1 of 2 1 2