Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Thank you Scott and Mandolin Cafe

I would like to thank Scott T and all those involved in the operation of our favorite website today. The quick news section on the front page allows those of us releasing recording projects to reach...
  2. Replies
    Views

Sacred Place - Sailing Lake Superior

Original song featuring Irish Whistle and Mandolin (1917 Gibson A4) accenting my Gibson J 200 guitar.

Sacred Place
  3. Get up John/ split tuning, with Sierra Hull improvising

i have never played this tuning but it sounds really neat, and ironically i was going to post a thread asking about different tunings on mandolin, this evening. this may have already made its rounds...
  4. Replies
    Views

Ella Recording

I had the honor of spending time with Ella a few months ago. For those folks who are unfamiliar with Ella, "she" is a black top A5 built by John Sullivan some years ago. One of the great mando...
  5. Replies
    Views

Interview with Tom Rozum

Thought people may enjoy this. What a player.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-tom-rozum-laurie-lewis-right-hand-man/
  6. Replies
    Views

The sound of a Girouard mandola

I wrote this tune right after I got my mandola from Max and Lauri and named the tune for them. Finally got it recorded properly and my friend Gregg Daigle put some video footage to it. Turned out...
  7. Replies
    Views

Burtenshaw Mandolin #16...

I just put the 1st set of strings on #16 a few days ago. Red spruce top, maple back, sides and neck, Tru Oil finish. Strung up sort of in the white while I shape the neck. Hope the youtube link...
  8. Replies
    Views

My 100 Year Old Sweetheart

I just got her back from the luthier for a little fret leveling and crowning. Now I can't keep my hands off her!
  9. Speed the plow..family band w fiddle & Northfield Octave Mando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pET3iv7F2kY&feature=youtu.be

My family is getting into distance playing. Here’s another split screen video, this time with both my daughters, and me providing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Are People Buying Less Mandolins Now?

John, there seem to be a lot of two finger players, from what I have been finding. Aaron Keim, who makes ukuleles and banjos (mighty fine ones too) under thebeansprout.com mon, has a book out...
  11. Replies
    Views

Adam at TME told me they are selling banjos, Froggy Bottom guitars, and Collings guitars like mad. The used Girouard A5 zipped out of there. They probably have sold stuff that has never hit the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Been tempted to do a feature article on this but don't think it's going to happen. Here's an opinion that's a combination of what's occurring the Classifieds and what our retail business partners and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

7 signed Loars, the 90k one has had a complete refinish.
    https://cartervintage.com/collections/gibson-mandolins?sort_by=price-descending
  14. Re: Amazing video of Josh Luttrell finishing an Ellis

Thanks for the vid. His finishes are truly masterful work. It’s easy to understand why Tom goes the extra distance to let him put the final touches on his exquisite mandolins. Perfectly awesome!
  15. Amazing video of Josh Luttrell finishing an Ellis

Thought we could all use some soothing relaxing video to watch today.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people only sell the great ones?

Ha ha! I am ADDICTED to looking at the Cafe classifieds. It’s the highlight of my day. I only allow myself to do it once with my morning coffee, and once after supper, or I’d probably have to join a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Happened to you?

Hi John...that mando is a Collings Mt w/torrfied top that is brand new. It's not really mine but nice little A5 for sure.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's Loars

Lots of info on this subject in the interview we did with Chris in 2012: Chris Thile in London Interview.

Picture below: the photo that came with the mandolin when Chris bought it that had no name...
  19. Re: Andrew Marlin "Cody Road" Artist Session at GMBR

It’s actually a road in Vermont. Friends of his who founded and produce the festival the video was shot at have a home there...so this song choice was very fitting for the artist session!
  20. Re: Andrew Marlin "Cody Road" Artist Session at GMBR

He sure did. Its one of the 14 tracks off of his instrumental record "Buried in a Cape".
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Loarfest 2020

I believe the number of Loar signed instruments was 24
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

I currently own a Duff, Kimble and Ruhland A. The Duff has been my main axe for a few years and people always remarked on how loud it is. The Ruhland is quite a bit louder than the Duff, like scary...
  23. Replies
    Views

I'll jump in - I own a Duff, a Heiden, a Sullivan and a Voight as well as a Ruhland F5 (and miraculously, I'm still married!!) and have previously owned a couple Nuggets.
    My Ruhland has the best...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hi John,

I have my perspective on an answer to your question but feel i should probably recuse myself. I'm clearly biased having owned and played more Ruhlands than some of the builders you...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Day - Ellis

Hi There,

Truth is I am new to Mandolin (kinda). In 1994 I actually made an F5 with the help of my buddy Cliff Sargent which I was lucky enough to get back and pass on to my son. I've been a...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4