Search:

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Sierra Ferrell: lots of mandolin content

She's amazing and so is her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHoixofvso

spHoixofvso
  2. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

I didn’t exactly miss it Bill, after I posted that comment, I realized that you had qualified what you said and that my comment wasn’t really fair. No offense, the truth is that I don’t think it’s a...
  3. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

The big issues with your grandpa's mandolin would be condition, particularly neck action.

I'm one of the folks that plays bowlbacks regularly, mostly Italian music, choro, Klezmer, and classical....
  4. Re: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Congratulations Bill, my friend from Ohio showed me pictures of the Stiver and promised to bring it to the next jam. He's a monster on the banjo!
  5. Thread: LRTI surgery

by JCook
    Replies
    Views

Re: LRTI surgery

Pittsburgh Bill -- My surgery sounds quite different from finger joint replacement. A bone is removed and eliminates the pain from the arthritis. I looked up finger joint replacement and it looks...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

Also, I’ll add that I never had an unhappy buyer … but if I had, I would have accepted a return. In fact, I’d accept one back today if it were in the same condition. They can’t be replaced for what I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Demonstrating a mandolin

Why is it that those folks that are trying to sell a mandolin, and producing a video, only play hot licks and chords. I would like to hear the individual strings one at a time. It would only take a...
  8. Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy Deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aqhiV2V8w
  9. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

The classifieds here on the Cafe.
  11. Replies
    Views

The Vermont Mandolin Trio

Enjoy!

Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqDEMQZw314
    QqDEMQZw314

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nya2-HSWvJA
    nya2-HSWvJA
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Rhythm of The Falling Rain

Does anyone else have trouble with mp3 links like this? When I click one, it prompts me to download an html page, and has always done, on many devices.

IMHO, it is always best to place an mp3 link...
  13. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  14. The Flatt Stanley Incident at Fishing Rock Depoe Bay Oregon

Hi mando friends,

A couple of weeks ago we performed at the Oregon coast. We almost always forget to set up recording equipment, but this time someone from our audience recorded us and put it on...
  15. Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6BpXBpp0vQ
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

My impression of the questions posed by the OP show the more recent trend in some classical transcriptions to indicate supposedly valiant attempts to make everything exactly in a transcription using...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

That would depend on the style and period of the music in question. For styles of mandolin that I play, tremolo expresses something even when used as a default technique - it expresses how long notes...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

Australian builders had access to some good local wood, but I think it's really a story of those individuals rather than a whole country.

From what I know of Gilchrist, Duff and Coombe, they all...
  19. Luke William Wright on Mandocello Monday

I posted this in the Mandolin Mondays thread, but it really belongs here.
    Check out Luke Williams Wright and his wonderful compositions for the mandocello.

Luke is one of the players and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: F mandolin form

Personally I prefer the A style but that's just me
  21. Gifted another of my sons an instrument

I am at an age where I can’t play all the instruments I have collected. I have sold a number of them and given each of my three sons various Martins, Nationals and others. It gives me happiness. ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Right hand advice

With the right hand, you have:

Proper downstroke, where you hand rests on the string under the one you are playing, pick points (pointy part) upwards 45°

Proper alternate stroke. Pick is short...
  23. Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Hey all, I learned John Reischman's ripping solo from "Nesser" off Up in the Woods and made a little video. Hope you enjoy.

UhHBUl8kLs0
  24. Thread: Open Tuning

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Open Tuning

I have experimented with calico tuning, AEAC#. Very interesting sound. It makes an A major chord when strummed open.

I had a collection of tunes written in various popular cross tunings, including...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Open Tuning

I don't know if you've seen the threads regarding sawmill tuning. Here's one. I don't know of any books that deal with open mandolin tunings.
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4