Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

I drop by Carter's whenever in the area. We ain't poor but I can't just throw money at instruments either. I would always play the Duff A5s that they would have, pick my jaw up off the floor and...
  2. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

You won't go wrong.
  3. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

I own a 2019 Duff A5. Slim neck, makes full G easier for aging hands :), big presence and tone. Small frets. Plays easy and gives most all it's headroom with a light chop. Amazing. I will never part...
  4. Replies
    Views

THREAD UPDATE Re: Powerful A models in the 5K range

Hi Cafe,

Since posting this thread some months ago, I have shifted mandolins around and ended up with a 2020 Craig Wilson WA-5 AND.....a 2019 Duff A-5! The Wilson is a strong-sounding...
  5. Video demo of my new Craig Wilson "Griffith Loar"Tribute mandolin

https://youtu.be/qzNPojq25hI

wilsonmandolins.com
  6. Craig Wilson WA-5 "Griffith Loar Tribute" mandolin....she's mine!

I just acquired the above mentioned mandolin, and it's an outstanding instrument, punching FAR above it's weight in tone, volume and overall fit and finish. I'll try to post some pictures and video...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar

West Coast luthier Craig Wilson also builds his WA-5 Griffith Loar replica. I will have the pleasure of test driving one in the next couple weeks.
  8. The elusive Stelling 2-lump mandolin. Behold the glory!!

The early Breedlove built Stelling makes some appearances on the Don Reno portions of this fine classic video.

https://youtu.be/L4bae7XoMLE
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Griffith Loar

I got to spend an afternoon with The Griffith Loar a few years ago. Still have VHS video somewhere. It remains my favorite looking and sounding of all mandolins.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Powerful A models in the 5K range

I'm back!!!! I found the mandolin I was looking for. It's a 7/9/97 Flatiron A5 Artist, interestingly enough signed by Charlie Derrington. Got it at Carter Vintage a couple days ago for far under my...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Which way do musicians make more money?

Buying the CD or download is exponentially more beneficial to the artist.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats this tuning called, any YouTubes?

I used to see Martin, Bogan and Armstrong a lot in the 70s. Wish I had sat on the front row, but I had other things on my mind. They were a cool black string band, a very uncommon sight even though I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

I would get a mid 1980s Carlson Flatiron and pocket the other 3K. As to modern builders, I would look to Will Kimble.
  14. Thread: Why "The"?

by fernmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Why "The"?

I think we just inadvertently explained why Bill Monroe called it "the Blue Grass music".
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Johnny Adams Two-point. #032.

Johnny is a friend of mine, and his mandolins have a tone that is unique to him. Dark and chocolatey, with a scooped mid-section. Not for everybody, but they sound cool and would be a valuable...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about your Gibson A5L mandolin.....

Just an update...26 months later and I am still happy with the A5-L. I would bet that it wasn't played much in it's first 27 years of life, as it has really opened up a lot. It isn't the best...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Pete Seeger Ripping on Mandolin

This brings fond memories of the Jack Tottle book.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Heard of a G.T.R. mandolin?

There is a GTR banjo lurking around here in Maryville, TN. Decent banjo.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Teens A4 with an F5 peg head.

AAAAAAAAAmen to Gibson doing some Master Model A5s.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5 Copy - 1981 FLS?

I had a Fred Snyder mando in the early 80s. Loved it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

It's too late for many of us, as we held the pick tighter and played harder trying to be heard over inferior sound systems, with inferior instruments. Thile is the top, and that is indisputable, but...
  22. Thread: Gibson A5L

by fernmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A5L

Mine is signed by Carlson. I will have her a 30th birthday party in around 13 weeks. I have only owned her for 2 years, but she's a keeper.
  23. Thread: Gibson A5L

by fernmando
    Replies
    Views

My A5-L has a little something different under the hood. I could pick it out of a crowd. It ain't for everyone, but it's for me.
  24. Replies
    Views

Who here owns, AND plays, a Gibson A-5L?

The thread discussions on these don't last long enough to satisfy me. I know that the A-5L is sort of an odd duck, in that there was never a Loar example, save one. The carvings and graduations are...
  25. Thread: Gibson A5L

by fernmando
    Replies
    Views

I hope this thread stretches awhile. I LOVE my A5-L, and they don't get enough love in general. They are scarce, though. Maybe their owners are keeping them. Try Googling one for sale.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3