Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin for beginner

Hi OP, I see you are in Knoxville. Me too. Welcome to the Cafe'. As others have advised, don't set your sights too low, and end up with an instrument that will end up in a closet. I saw a Rover...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Forearm Pain

I had the same problem when I started playing regularly with an Eastman 815. I'm a guitar player, and attributed the forearm fatigue to the smaller mandolin neck compared to a guitar neck. I thought...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

I agree with the above lust for the Bighorn in the classifieds. I'm a Weber fan big time. I've had a Bitteroot-F, and now have a Bitteroot-A. Both were great playing mandolins. My A-style has maple...
  4. Girouard A-style in Craigslist Asheville, NC

For anyone near Asheville, NC, this looks like a great deal on a Girouard A-style:

https://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/d/girouard-a5-mandolin/6311375260.html

If I didn't already have my Weber,...
  5. Thread: Help!

by itstooloudMike
    Replies
    Views

Re: Help!

I had an Eastman 815 for quite a while, and also could not get along with the neck shape and width. My answer was a nice used Weber Bitteroot-A. The Weber neck works perfectly for me. It's more...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Md615 or save up a little more?

I had an Eastman MD815, which was nice, but not the level of mandolin I really wanted. I sold the Eastman, and bought a nice used Weber Bitteroot-A. I got $1K for my Eastman, and bought the Weber...
  7. Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

I really like it! I could see doing a relic job to it by strategically sanding some finish off in places that normally wear over years of playing. Maybe add a few "character marks", to make it look...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mando: Eastman MD404 or MD805V?

I am also primarily a guitar player, who is trying to become a good mandolin player. I had an Eastman 815 for a couple of years, and it was a nice mandolin. However, I had difficulty with the neck...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland Acoustic options

I was also thinking about fitting my own bridge. I do all my own setup work on electric guitars, and have done a fair amount of woodworking. But fitting a full contact bridge on a mandolin with a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland Acoustic options

Steve just put a full contact bridge on my Weber Bitteroot, and it sounds awesome. He fit the bridge base perfectly to the top of my Weber, which has a pretty high arch. I'm really glad I had him do...
  11. Re: Thoughts on this Weber A style Bitterroot please.

I have a 2005 Weber Bitteroot-A and absolutely love it. I would never sell mine for less than $1400 or $1500, assuming I wanted to sell it at all. I don't care for the black top on that one, but at...
  12. Replies
    Views

Cumberland Acoustics - much praise

Well, I spent this past Saturday with Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics, and wanted to share how great the experience was. I've had my Weber Bitteroot-A for a while now, and always suspected it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Mandolin Family

I had an Eastman 815 for a long while, and it was a beautiful instrument. It was well made, and played good. But I never really liked the tone. It was too thin sounding, lacked volume, and had...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins $1000-$1500

I got a clean used Weber Bitteroot-A in that price range, and absolutely love it. It was my "step up" from an Eastman 815. The Weber is light years better than the Eastman in every way.
  15. Re: Keith Richards on guitar- no mandolin content

That was awesome. I've always been a huge fan of what Keith does with a guitar. Probably the best rhythm hook player ever. Hugely under-rated by those who only consider soaring solo work to be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What Mandolin Should I buy ?

For right at $1K, you can find a used Weber, Flatiron, or Gibson A-style mandolin. Any of these will sound and play better than most of the F-styles you can buy for less than $1K. You get more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Rationalising introduction to mandolin

I am a long time guitar player, now converted to mandolin most of the time. As an experienced guitar player, you should have already developed a good ear for tone. This is a blessing and a curse. It...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: F5G model year

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Sounds like this could be the one I've been looking for. Appreciate the expertise!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F9 and Weber Bitterroot F-5

I owned a Bitteroot-F for several years, and loved the way it played. But it had a mahogany back, and never sounded like I wanted. I have played a few F-9s, and while they didn't play as well as my...
  20. Re: Best Mandolin in the $800 to $900 range

I also tried to "step up" to an F-style in the under $1K range, and found a nice Eastman 815. But after a while, I realized that the Pac-Rim F-style mandos weren't going to give me the quality tone I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: New guitar

Congrats on your Taylor. I own a special edition 414kce with koa back and sides, that I bought new in the late 90s. Mine has matured beautifully, and sounds amazing. I love the way koa sort of splits...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you justify MAS?

I'm a longtime guitarist, and mandolinist for a few years. I am a family man, and not really wealthy. I try to be as practical as possible, while still pursuing my musical passion. Over the years I...
  23. Re: How does the Gibson F-9 compare to the Gibson F-5G?

I prefer the F-9, because it doesn't have the fretboard extension. The F-9s I have played sounded and played very much like any F-5G that I have played. I don't need the bling or the Florida...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Weber Gallatin A Fern Burst

Beautiful! I have a Bitteroot-A, so I know you are going to love it. Let me welcome you to the Weber fanclub.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut slot too low - E strings only

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Last night I put a paper shim under half of the nut (treble side), and it resolved the issue completely. The Weber plays extremely well now and all strings ring...
Page 1 of 2 1 2