Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To Pinkie or Not Pinkie is my Question

Another vote for continuing to use all four.

First off, take the key of Bb. If you play a two-octave Bb scale, how in the world are you going to play the second Eb—the one on the A course—without...
  2. Replies
    Views

Find a new teacher. The first one is correct, the second is wrong.

I was going to leave it at that, but seriously, the little finger is not the strongest finger but hey, mandolin -...
  3. Replies
    Views

Sometimes it is right to use a pinky so use it as needed. It will always be weaker than your ring finger. Less finger length and the same muscles doing the work means less leverage at the tip. But...
  4. Replies
    Views

I don't see how eliminating 25% of your resources puts you at an advantage. I use my little finger all the time but I went out of my way to develop it too.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

Been playing for 45 years, 27 on the road in working bands and can't read a lick of music. Tried tab once but couldn't do anything with it unless I already knew the tune.I just listen to the song i'm...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for my Eastman 515

Wooden case: Superior CD-1520. Excellent fit. Only downside is there is potential to ding the back of the neck on the neck brace (had it happen in shipping). You will want to lay a polishing cloth...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for my Eastman 515

Are you saying the case shuts and latches, but doesn't fully close in some areas (indicating maybe warping or deformation of the case itself)? Or does it seem like the mandolin doesn't fit correctly...
  8. Thread: 10 top hits

by soliver
    Replies
    Views

Re: 10 top hits

Another favorite of mine is Cluck Old hen, and I will redouble others' suggestion of St Anne's Reel, Whiskey Before Breakfast, East Tennessee Blues and Irish Washerwoman!

If you feel ready for one...
  9. Replies
    Views

we should make a cafe top 40 list

I used this list early on and the top 20 (still not learned #7) are fairly popular

#21-24 are popular and #32 is one of my favorites
  10. Replies
    Views

Whiskey Before Breakfast , Red Haired Boy, St. Anne's Reel, Billy in the Lowground,
  11. Thread: 10 top hits

by yankees1
    Replies
    Views

Angelina Baker, Darling Nellie Gray, Harvest Home
  12. Thread: 10 top hits

by Timbofood
    Replies
    Views

Gold Rush
    Liberty

Two pretty basic tunes you can learn without being overwhelmed then, you can learn some embellishment.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Very curious

Check out this jam on Shady Grove by DGQ 08/28/2009. Matt Eakle takes the 1st solo from 0:42-1:50 and just smokes it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYrwBLVavM
    Now if anybody ever tells you...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about strings

I'd agree for an archtop, you should go up in gauge. I'd agree that the gauge range is in the ilk of J-74s. You may like the difference in the monel strings (Sam Bush signature set).

f-d
  15. Replies
    Views

You're asking the right question. Changing strings is the single best way to improve the sound of your mandolin. I also think J73 are too light for that mandolin.
    I think flatwound strings give...
  16. Replies
    Views

Sounds pretty awesome to me!
    You should check out http://matteakle.com
    Great flute player and has been playing with David Grisman for decades.
    The David Grisman Quintet is mostly jazz, but they do...
  17. Replies
    Views

My $.02... Every acoustic jam is different, so if everyone is having fun with what you're playing on flute, then go for it!

It might not fly at a hardcore Bluegrass jam, but there are many...
  18. Replies
    Views

Well if your mandolin is sound and has no issues, I would move up to J74s. I a little more tone. J74s, (or EJ74s I think now) are like a very good starting place. From there lots of choices, lots of...
  19. Re: Loar 520 vs Loar 600 for beginner/intermediate

Properly set up, a Loar LM 600 VS is a pro-level mandolin. Sarah Church tours with her 600 VS.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow. My Mandolin changed

Mr5150, I can't shed any light on the 'cracking' noise. Just wanted to let you know that a properly located bridge might not necessarily be located symmetrically in relation to the 'f' holes. The...
  21. Replies
    Views

Also make sure that your intonation is still good. Is it in tune when you play at the 12th fret? That will give you a clue if the bridge needs repositioning.
  22. Replies
    Views

Yes, that bridge looks to be in excellent condition,, so you really got me here,,,,
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Guards

Depending on how you play there aren't any pros or cons. It's all cosmetics.
  24. Replies
    Views

One of mine has a pick guard and I like it although I'm not a pinkey planter. I sort of gently brush over the top and the pick guard is a nice tactile feedback. Looks wise, I like the small elegant...
  25. Thread: Pick Guards

by Canoedad
    Replies
    Views

Pros: Protection, great looks (especially on an A model IMO)
    Cons: Minimal purchase price
Page 1 of 2 1 2