Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Choir Practice Turns Fatal

Sad story but we are headed in the wrong direction here. There are plenty of places to have this discussion on the Internet.
  2. Replies
    Views

A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

I have always been a Gibson guy. So, when I decided to go spend the money, I bought an F9 and then later an F5G and finally a Montana made Flatiron. I loved them all. Selling that F9 was a life...
  3. Re: Video: "Chris Thile Gauge" G Strings On The J75 Set

Consumer demand was the reason we created this set. The only way to get those gauges previously was to buy a set of EXP74 and a set of EXP75 and combine them, or try to find a store that carried EXP...
  4. Re: What breaks or solos have you learned note for note?

Everyone should learn what they want to learn the way they want to learn it. This post only applies to me. YMMV.

The only thing I learn note-for-note is the basic melody, unless I am doing some...
  5. RIP Leroy K. Beal (MandolinCafe member "Leroy")

Leroy posted on here a while back, and I know I wasn't the only one who was inspired by his building approach. He was quite prolific and innovative for a hobby builder.
    Recently I checked back to...
  6. Re: Differences in Tonewood Within Same Species?

:popcorn:
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Adam Steffy Workshop?

For anyone who, like me, still wants to watch this, it's available to view on their website now:

http://northfieldinstruments.com/component/content/article/273

No vettle (whatever that is), no...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Pete Seeger

Nice one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_V5KjWy4No
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: considering quitting the mandolin

As a newbie - don't give up! A crappy mandolin is better than no mandolin. I just got my first one(a Kentucky) in November after saying I wanted to play for 20+ years. Now I'm so addicted I wish I...
  10. Replies
    Views

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but why did you even post this thread? If you're going to quit, then quit and be done with it. Why announce it to the world? Were you looking for inspiration or...
  11. Replies
    Views

Hi Kevbuch! In life I've learnt nothing worthwhile comes all that easy!

From your circumstances I can see there are some challenges.
    Talking about challenges:
    I am a visually impaired...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: On Line Shopping - To Buy or Not To Buy?

When I upgrade to a very good f-style I'm planning on buying locally for a few reasons:

1. Support a local small business; it's needed in this economy. (I avoid large chains like GC.)

2. Some...
  13. Re: Kentucky 855 Fit and Finish - Should I return it?

A different perspective:
    It has points and scrolls, it was around $1000, and you expect it to look better than that?
    I'd say, if "fit and finish" on something as superfluous as a scroll on a $1000...
  14. Re: comparing quailty of instruments: why cant my cheapo keep up?

You've just laid out the questions that started me on my "quest" to learn what makes a good instrument good and a great instrument great. It is what started me repairing, modifying, and eventually...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Stripping finish on neck question.

I've never been able to figure out why mandolin luthiers put a finish on the back of the neck in the first place, especially a lacquer fiinish. It feels so much more natural without any, that it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

For me, some of these cats
  17. Re: what are the options for affordable F-styles?

Hi something,

You are entirely correct; it has been "done to death". I understand how you feel about f-style mandolins though. I love them too.
    I do not want to sound snobbish or dismissive...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Birdseye Maple versus a flame maple back

Birdseye figure shows up best on flatsawn wood, fiddleback figure (flamed) shows up best on quarter sawn wood. Big difference, quartersawn wood in general will be stiffer.

Birdeye Maple is very...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there a Mother of Bluegrass?

Maybe Rhonda Vincent since she took over "The Martha White Bluegrass Bus" from Flatt and Scruggs.

Lee
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there a Mother of Bluegrass?

For a living organism yes, except for microbes that split by binary fission. I don't think, in general, styles are granted geneologies beyond who is accepted as the founder. However, given WSM's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Oh no...........

Oh no...........
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

Donna Stoneman
  23. Replies
    Views

Tom Ellis "We Should Build Mandolins"

I saw this profile of Tom Ellis posted on the Fretboard Journal site. I don't think anyone has posted this on the Cafe.

http://vimeo.com/67614414
  24. Re: Looking to buy nice mandolin. Why so expensive?

Normally I wouldn't be bothered by a comment like this but it fits part of a larger pattern of your participation here. Seems you have a need to continue to take digs at other members to whittle them...
  25. Replies
    Views

To All Mando-Vets

I know Memorial Day is a time to remember those folks over our history who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of this country. Just thought I'd also take this chance to shout-out to all...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3