Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: We don't need no steenking flat picks!

Hi Folks-

go to James Stiltner's YouTube channel and type in Ralph Stanley Playing The Mandolin - East Virginia Blues

sorry- haven't learned how to use the "embed" feature and my computer is...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know what mandolin he’s playing?

Hi OneChordTrick-

Looks like a Breedlove. Not sure what the model style is designated.

Bob
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's Who in this Photo

Hi Folks-

I believe that Roy Acuff is the fiddle player in between Byron Berline and John Hartford.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My Last Days On Earth

Well played! Thanks for posting!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Contract 1965

Hi Chanmandolin-

The picture of the Bill Monroe contract w/Carleton Haney just happens to be for the Sept 3,4,5, 1965 Fincastle Bluegrass Festival held on the Labor Day weekend. Fincastle 1965 is...
  6. Re: You can help me again, and this time it's FREE!

Voted.

Good luck!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Snakehead Model ID

It may be useful to remember that while the FON establishes in which batch of instruments a given mandolin was included and when construction was started on that batch, the serial numbers were not...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Snakehead Model ID

With top and back binding, sound hole rosette, headstock logo, it looks like 1922-24 Snake A-2. Jrs had no rosette, no logo, no binding, no truss rod, and many seem to have had the waverly cloud...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for information- birthday

Based on surrounding serial numbers in the Archive here, your instrument was probably sent out from the factory in 1919 or 1920.

To get a closer handle on when the batch of instruments within...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: A Mandolin on the Endurance?

Interestingly enough, there was not only a bowlback mandolin on the Endurance, but also a British manufactured banjo that expedition meteorologist and medical doctor Leonard Hussey brought w/his gear...
  11. Re: Oval hole Gibson Mandola ~1910 (?) "action" photograph!

Hi Folks-

it might be helpful to remember that the Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco ran from February to December, 1915 on a 635 acre site and was a big cultural deal which included a...
  12. Re: Suggestion for Bluegrass Mother/Son Wedding Dance Song.

Hi Troy-

short time to event. stick w/a waltz you already know. do Kentucky Waltz as an instrumental. you won't need a Monroe or Grisman level solo. all focus will be on the folks waltzing....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar LM 500 vs 600

Hi Delaware-

Robert Fear of Folkmusician is one of "The Loar"s most experienced dealers, wouid be most likely to be able to tell you the actual differences and status of the "re-designed" LM 500,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar-signed mandolin banjo?

Hi Allen-

very nicely played by everyone!

thanks for posting the medley!

Bob
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar-signed mandolin banjo?

Hi T.D.Nydn-

Mandolin Banjo (MB) is the term used most frequently here on the Cafe and also in Gibson historical catalog i.d.s for the instrument pictured in the ebay offering- 4 pairs of strings...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Hi officespace-

looking carefully through the printed insert from the cd case, there is a picture of Dawg in a Santa suit holding the Monteleone. However- in the production notes on the same page...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando is Skip playing?

Looks like David Davis takes the 2nd solo. Casey Campbell is the guy w/dark curly hair and beard. During Skip's opening round, Roland White (!) moves over to fill in on string bass, allowing Chris...
  18. Thread: Buzz Busby

by Bob Bass
    Replies
    Views

Re: Buzz Busby

For a while in the mid-1970s, Buzz actually got a bit of national exposure through the 1974 Rounder 0031 LP, which was in virtually all the Tower Records stores- I recall seeing it here in LA in the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's played a Loar?

DataNick is certainly right about WSM's Loar sound being a reference point for a 23 year old Loar.

Consider, also, that Dave Apollon owned and played #73009, signed 4/25/23 and made his first...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Mandolin Recommendations

There was a New Orleans mandolin player, Bill Kleppinger, who played w/Edmond "Doc" Souchon in a 4 piece group called the Six and Seven-Eights String Band of New Orleans, which group made an LP...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Whatever you guys find in terms of "manufacturing" will have been a true commercial enterprise. However, Italian immigrants w/musical backgrounds were prominent in musical endeavors here at least as...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Craigslist Loar

Hi Shaun-

the image of the man holding the 1920's F5 that accompanies the CraigsList ad cited by the OP appears to have been copyrighted by an Alan Bond from the SF Bay area on his site called the...
  23. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

Stan clearly had a big heart and enjoyed putting 'dream" instruments into the hands of musicians.

Visiting Mandolin Brothers was on my list, but I haven't been back to the East Coast since 1966,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Some cool old Gibson magazine advertisements

Hi Henry Eagle-

Thanks for the model identifications! Even at the current resolution, it is possible to discern the truss rod covers on all but the H4.

Although the date of April 17, 1923 seems...
  25. Re: What is Ricky playing, or posing with here ?

Hi Allen-

The recording on which he uses the octave and the mandocello is titled "Solo: Songs My Dad Loved". The picture posted by the OP of Ricky playing the mandocello is the cover picture for...
Page 1 of 2 1 2