Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone knows what this is?

Yes your right Allen. I was actually told it had not been played for at least 30 years. Probably more like 40 or 50. That finish also steered me towards Europe and maybe Germany, but I've looked...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone knows what this is?

Thanks Ed and Jim!

My first thought was also German for some reason. I think maybe I've seen a similar headstock on some generic German made model from the 50's or 60's, but I might be wrong. The...
  3. Replies
    Views

Anyone knows what this is?

I came across this one at a second hand store and was just amazed how well she plays. The thick body helps giving it a lot of volume and sustain of course, but I find the tone to be surprisingly warm...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking to upgrade from first, but Eastman?

I'm nowhere close to as experienced as most members here, nor have I played a huge amount of different mandolins, but I think the MD 415 is gonna keep you warm and happy for years to come. Even...
  5. If you could have any mandolin in the world….

If you could have any mandolin in the world which one would it be?

Let’s say the premiss here is that going for a $150000 Loar, then selling it and buying your dream mandolin with a nice chunk of...
  6. Re: Any help identifying this beautiful instrument?

Thank you so much CWRoyds!
    I was unfamiliar with the "atlas of plucked instruments". A wonderful source indeed. I haven't had a chance to have a thorough look yet, but as you mention, it could be a...
  7. Any help identifying this beautiful instrument?

Hey there friends.

I've been trying to identify this remarkable instrument for quite some time now without any luck, and though it's clearly not in the mandolin family I couldn't resist asking...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Why/how did you start playing mandolin?

This performance is why I started playing the mandolin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3wHljJQ4M
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What has my MAS gotten me this time?

Haha ok ok. I guess it's not for me after all:)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: “Beware of the MAS"

Well it’s a combination. I do, to a certain extent, collect instruments. String instruments in particular, and this last year I’ve gone all in with the mandolin and it’s kin.
    However the reason I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Yeah I definitely need to play one of those! And I probably need to buy one too... Damn it Allen :crying:
  12. Replies
    Views

Thank you so much Tony! I had never even begun to consider this. Come to think of it, I sometimes am a bit bothered by what I consider a slightly out of tune 12 string guitar at one of our monthly...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolaika

Your welcome!
    I don't know if it is traditional or not, but I don't think so. I assume your thinking "traditional Norwegian" due to the mandolaika? In which case I'd say no, since they're singing...
  14. Replies
    Views

The Mandolaika

Here’s a bit of a curiosity.

The Mandolaika

There is not a lot of information to be found on this instrument, but from what I have gathered it was invented in a school in Oslo...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

Using a tennis bag as a mandolin bag

Obviously not a hard case so not optimal in all situations, but it is water resistent and it has some padding.
    Also nobody gets jumped for their...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: "The Greatest Mandolin Performance Ever"

Yeah it's a 5 stringed electrical mandolin tuned in CGCGC. Immensely interesting and impressive what he's able to do with it.

17. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

I'll go out on a limb here and guess "hacks" that sound easy, it being a thread on mandolin hacks and all...
  18. Replies
    Views

Awesome seeing Mike Marshal and Hamilton de Holanda playing together. Hamilton is a beast on the bandolim.

Here's another great performance by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKaJn_MmTps
  19. Replies
    Views

You are right. It was merely an attempt at expressing awe.

In fact, one of my favorite things about music and one of the things that has kept me going in terms of composing and playing new...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Next frontier: What's next after Mandolin???

Ronroco!

Should be an easy instrument to pick up for a mandolin or guitar player.
    If you check out this performance by Gustavo Santaolalla of De Ushuaia a la Quiaca from the Motor...
  21. Replies
    Views

"The Greatest Mandolin Performance Ever"

In this day and age there are almost countless numbers of virtuosos on practically any instrument you can find out there.

Some time ago I came across a video of Chris Thile playing Another new...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting a Mandolin Orchestra

I've been coming down here for years, and I'm actually somewhat into the music scene by now.

Though the Spanish guitar is popular and you'll see "guitarrones" quite a lot, I'd say that when it...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting a Mandolin Orchestra

Thanks again everyone!

Well I'm down in Central America. San Jose, Costa Rica. And it turns out theres not exactly a massive mandolin scene down here. I've never seen a mandolin played at a gig....
  24. Replies
    Views

Starting a Mandolin Orchestra

Every now and then I catch myself watching videos of different mandolin orchestras from around the world, and lately I've entertained the idea of becoming part of one myself.

Despaired and in...