Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

In November 1970,I saw,for the first time,a mandolin being played.The players were Rose Simpson and Robin Williamson.The ISB were performing at the Armadillo World Headquarters in AustinTexas.My love...
  2. Thread: Kentucky 965?

by Jon Hall
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky 965?

This senior just noticed that he switched the 6 and the 5.😂
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Eastman won't stay in tune - bad pegs?

After playing mandolin for over fifty years. I check the tuning every time I pick it up. The great Jethro Burns said "I spend half of the time tuning my mandolin and the other half playing it out of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Triplets Pick Direction

Sherry, I would play the triplets in this exercise, DUD.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Middle of the night practice?

That’s not too odd. Paul Glasse told a workshop that he would practice difficult passages just before he went to bed and often, when he awoke, was able to play the same passages better than when he...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Is It Possible to Fake It?

Congratulations Sherry! I bet it felt good!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Losing Your Place

Memorizing from notation is the easiest way for me. When I was younger, I memorized by ear. I can read tab but I’m unable to memorize from it.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in the Hospital???

Hey Sherry! You’re going to come through this like a champ. If you feel like it, why not play your mandolin in the hospital. I once snuck a tiny puppy into a hospital just cheer up my Mother. You’ll...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Jam – A Primer?

Sherry, I’m happy you found a group to make music with!
  10. Replies
    Views

Congratulations Sherry! I’m glad you found some people to make music with! Say Hey to Laurie!
  11. Replies
    Views

Sherry, 1 and 2 are essential. 3 and 4 are preferred. Being able to play 3 finger movable chords, or even double stops from the chord tones, will enable you to play in a variety of keys. Varying the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I’m saddened to hear of Peter’s passing. His tremolo never fails to touch my emotions as if it is a human voice.
  13. Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

Sherry, I realize it’s difficult to try a lot of mandolins, or really any, during the pandemic. I think you’re wise to not upgrade just because you can. Speaking for myself, two of my three...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin goes sharp between sessions?

I, half-jokingly, tell my mandolin students that unless you want everyone to know you’re a beginner before they hear you play, don’t take your mandolin out of it’s case and begin playing without...
  15. Replies
    Views

Relative Humidity explains what your observation regarding temperature. Warmer air can contain more moisture than cooler air. 50% relative humidity at 75 degrees isn’t the same amount of moisture as...
  16. Replies
    Views

I live in East Texas. On a Spring afternoon the relative humidity in my apartment is 50% but outdoors it is 65-80%.
  17. Replies
    Views

My mandolins have always gone sharp when the relative humidity is lower. I lived in a house with ac window units and not central air so when I took them to church, where the central air produced...
  18. Re: Possible Transition from Light to Medium Strings

Sherry, another option I think you should consider is GHS Silk and Steel strings or the GHS Silk and Bronze strings. These are a heavier gauge than the light gauge you’ve been using but I’m not sure...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bedbugs And Mandolins

I endured and with professional extermination eradicated a b.b infestation of 1500 sq dwelling. We threw away everything that we could afford to dispose of which some badly infested upholstered...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Went Outside the Box, again.

When you bought a J40, you bought a fine guitar!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Going backwards

We’re all hardwired differently. I keep a log of my practices. I can watch my improvement from regular practice or if I miss some days I excuse myself and keep after it. Chet Atkins said that if he...
  22. Thread: Reading music

by Jon Hall
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reading music

I find it much easier to memorize music from notation than from tab. I think the visual of the melody and the intervals between the notes is helpful.
  23. Thread: Reading music

by Jon Hall
    Replies
    Views

Re: Reading music

Think of it as a capo. If you’re playing in D major on the mandolin but a guitarist only knows how to play in C major, the guitarist will use a capo on the 2nd fret and read music written in C major...
  24. Thread: LiuQin

by Jon Hall
    Replies
    Views

Re: LiuQin

It's my understanding that the tonal intervals are not the same as our musical intervals. If that's the case it might prove difficult playing with mandolins and guitars though it would be possible...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

Humming the the tune as I play it helps me remember it. I've always found it difficult to memorize a tune from tab. I learned to music notation several years ago and I find it easier to memorize from...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4