Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Rockabilly on the mandolin.

Man, after seeing this thread a few days, I decided I had to try a mandolin rhythm on Brian Setzer's Stray Cat Strut and I have to say I'm liking it; it's more fun than playing on guitar -- for now,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Rockabilly on the mandolin.

Listen to Chicago Blues Mandolin man, Johnny Young, Jesse McReynolds on the Jim & Jesse Chuck Berry album, Berry Pickin', & of course, lots of Bill Monroe.
    Shake it up & stir=Rock-a-Billy.
    Joe B
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: D'addario case sticker

Another thread resurfaces after a ten-and-a-half-year hiatus.

Ain't Google wonderful?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Sampler #1 is ready to ship out tomorrow, I added a V-pick Red Rocker, and a Dunlop Tru-Shell X-heavy to the lot.
    I figured out that I have apparently tried out tons of different picks in the past,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee Vs. Austin Calton

Here are few shots of the three cases I have. A Price fiberglass, Hoffee Carbon Fiber and Austin Calton Fiberglas. Surprisingly, the Calton is not that much smaller than the others, just more shaped...
  6. Replies
    Views

Ivan, I certainly appreciate that you are a die-hard fan of Travelite cases. You repeatedly cite all the advantages (light weight, good impact protection, low cost, convenience), which I and many...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Coloradocase Appears to be back up.

Thermal protection is why I decided to get Colorado Case Co. covers for my instruments. Here in Minnesota it gets pretty cold in the winter and pretty hot in the summer, and the case covers...
  8. Thread: Calton Cases

by mtucker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases

believe so Alan. also, the exterior of the case is way better than my earlier ones, overall slightly larger but not by much. the new molds being used also produce a more pleasing exterior, softer...
  9. Replies
    Views

Our excitement is premature. I contacted Jeff Hoffee about the Colorado conundrum and according to Jeff the business is closed and he doesn't know why the website is back (?) ... still (?) up. Jeff...
  10. Replies
    Views

ALL RIGHT !!!

Ryk
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Any gatherings in AZ?

I no longer live in AZ, but when I did, one of my favorite gatherings was the Glendale Folk and Heritage Festival: https://www.glendaleaz.com/SRPHA/index.cfm#Happenings

It’s a general folk arts...
  12. Re: Chris Thile with the Portland Symphony Orchestra 3/28/10 Merr

This is the first part of Thile's mandolin concerto. The level of technical performance skill here is astounding; the mandolin part is extraordinarily difficult, and there cannot be more than a...
  13. Re: Chris Thile with the Portland Symphony Orchestra 3/28/10 Merr

I would love to see much much more of this. To demonstrate that a mandolin playing classical music is not a stunt but has a legitimate place in all genres. And also for Chris Thile, to demonstrate...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mapes strings

I like the Mapes but also prefer an A string that is .016 as opposed to the .015 so I had planned on buying some on a special order and get the heavier A string, then I got an e mail from Just...
  15. Re: Instruments from the estate of Earl Scruggs for sale at Gruhn

With no disrespect to Bill Monroe, some would say that Earl Scruggs (and his 5-string toaster) made the definitive bluegrass toast.
  16. Re: Replacement tuning post for vintage Handel tuners.

If you can't find one that will work, the one you have can be cut off so it is the same length and a hole drilled in the top part. Length is only part of the equation, the thread size for mounting...
  17. Re: Replacement tuning post for vintage Handel tuners.

You might have a hard time finding that.
    You might consider modifying the one you have to match. I would ignore the hole at the bottom of the post. Or you could have one made.
    I have seen at...
  18. Re: Replacement tuning post for vintage Handel tuners.

Why nor get some pictures of the tuners off the mandolin and see if someone can match the post. If you go out and search eBay using the keywords mandolin tuners then search again using mandolin...
  19. Re: Replacement tuning post for vintage Handel tuners.

You may have to buy a vintage set that has the same posts and use the post off it?
  20. Thread: 1900 Orville

by goaty76
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1900 Orville

The best place to see some Orville’s up close would be The National Music Museum. That is if you ever get to South Dakota. They have 4 of the roughly 20 known Orville pieces. Or you could go to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Big fan of the Pegasus here too... very fine case. You can get a spare set of strings under the headstock storage cover, and a pick, tuner, etc. in the under-neck area. Not exactly loads of storage,...
  22. Thread: 1900 Orville

by goaty76
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1900 Orville

That mandolin currently resides at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/700485

Phil
  23. Replies
    Views

Check with christie@cartervintage.com I think she still has them. Ask for the 'roo' strap, the best scroll harness imo.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Oh, so that's what "overall wear" means. No wonder some would rather bid on Bill Monroe's toaster.
  25. Replies
    Views

I can help with that:

J74 strings (tight fit) = $5
    Ebony tuner button (extra) = $5
    Assorted Picks = $5 ea.
    Hines (roo) mandolin strap = $50
    Ample room for a small clip-on tuner = $30
    Western...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4