Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 3-5, 2024 in Concord, NH

Hi everyone!

Isa Burke here, daughter of Mandolin Cafe hero David Surette, to spread the word about this year's David Surette Mandolin Festival! As many of you know, over 20 years ago my dad...
  2. Re: Is "Mr Sun Plays Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite" bluegrass

Saw them in Monterey last night. Who cares what you call it? Mr. Sun is 4 brilliant musicians at the top of their game channeling Duke Ellington in an original way. Just dig it! Not everything has to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

I saw it in The Irish Times this morning that Shane MacGowan has passed away. He had a fine voice, was a great interpreter of songs and a fine song writer to my way of thinking.I’ll pull out the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

Many people (including many professional mandolinists) swear by a tone guard.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

I quite often do some practise when I'm finishing my breakfast. This is a Scottish jig called The Lads O' Dunse, played on my powerful wee Collings mandolin.

6. Replies
    Views

Cormac McCarthy RIP

No mandolin content at all, but I would like to note the passing of one of the best novelists of recent times.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-using case stickers

Just a note for anyone reading this thread in the future, please remove the instrument from the case before heating it or freezing it. Thank you and carry on.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and Clawhammer Banjo duos

Maddie plays a lot of bluegrass but is pretty well known in oldtime circles too.

https://youtu.be/D3hCcT9cSyg

Several mandolin and clawhammer duos in this podcast.
  9. Re: There has got to be something better than Tabledit, right?

To paraphrase Ben Franklin or Winston Churchill or somebody..

Tabledit is the worst tablature software, except for all the others.
  10. Re: New Eastman won't stay in tune - bad pegs?

On any given day in the entire universe only three mandolins are in tune and David Grisman owns two of them.
  11. Walter Douglas MBE, played by Dagger Gordon

This is a tune which I recorded on my Highland Mandolin album in 1988. It is written by Donald MacLeod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu89OhX78vY
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Taran Springwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P0PNmFPcPY

Bit of gloomy looking film, apt for these gloomy days without any live music, but the Springwell is developing and maturing beautifully, to my ears.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Free PDF Tunebook (Volume Four)

Free PDF Tunebook (Volume Five)

It has taken a few years, but Volume 5 is now out! This free PDF book (as well as volumes 1-4) can now be accessed from
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings--winding and leaving?

+1 What Drew said.

And now ...

Some tips for changing strings: First off, it does help if you have three hands. Unfortunately, I'm one of the billions who were born with the standard two....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Having trouble picking in public

Best medicine is to lose the desperation. Maybe Zen, or Yoga? Seriously though, you'll have to get past the anxiety somehow, because to play well, you'll need to be able to relax a bit in those...