Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Mandolin Camp North is just over a month away!

I highly recommend players of all levels check out Mandolin Camp North in Charlton, MA, April 19-21.

There is really something for everyone, beginner through professional players, with many...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Who knows if I have literal ADHD, but I've always struggled with attention. When I was doing my PhD I found I could only focus on research so many hours a day, but I had tons of energy left over. I...
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Context is everything. Beginner jam? Anything goes. Whatever gets people playing. Jam at my house? I really can't stand the Grateful Dead (sorry!), and I'm tired of hearing Wagon Wheel. Traditional...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here's Bill Monroe's "The Chilly Winds of Shannon," which sounds totally natural on tenor banjo, IMHO.

https://youtu.be/J2R4bK2O034?si=ndLGTeQqR40inqVI
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

I was thinking exactly the same way until a friend let me play an Artist model recently. I was really, really impressed! We evaluated it in my living room next to a Weinman, a Duff, and a Stiver, and...
  6. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

An Eastman was my first "real" mandolin when I just started to play in college. It was all I could afford (actually, it was slightly beyond what I could afford at the time). I got so much mileage out...
  7. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

I have no idea of the answers to your questions but I totally bless this adventure! Send them an email? They probably won't be able to sell you anything there.
  8. New Year's resolution: talk less, practice more

We know what we need to do: metronome, study, exercise, learn, write, improvise, play.

To work!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I recently went to an old time party at a friend's house. There were maybe half a dozen fiddles, plus banjos, etc. Big jam. I was playing my Duff. I played a few tunes and thought, well, this is...
  10. Replies
    Views

Banish Misfortune on the Duff F-5.

https://youtu.be/eq5_G4oFQpI

And on tenor banjo, for sonic comparison.

https://youtu.be/tyCr49rPG0c
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

It's not lacking in expressive possibilities at all, there are just different possibilities than on the mandolin. I think tenor banjo is the winner here, and you should give it a shot.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Obessed with the tenor banjo

Currently working my way through Enda Scahill's books and online instructional materials, which are really inspiring. Even as a melody instrument, there are new techniques, and it's very fun having...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Obessed with the tenor banjo

Your comment sent me down a Tyler Jackson-sized rabbit hole. Stunning stuff!
  14. Replies
    Views

Obessed with the tenor banjo

I recently bought a 1923 Bacon Style-C 17-fret tenor banjo, my very first, and I am completely obsessed. I just can't get enough of the sound. Pray for me!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Green Mountain Bluegrass

I was there, too. This festival rules. It's a great size with a great lineup. I so appreciated not having to jockey and muscle for position at the campsite when I arrived on Friday at noon.

I...
  16. Re: Should one learn mandolin/mandola before tenor banjo/guitar?

This is going to sound like a smart-alec answer, but you should learn the instrument you want to play, not the one that will help you approach the one you really hope to play. Since it sounds like...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mighty Poplar

Saw Noam's solo show in Vermont a few years ago (in the "before times," pre-Covid). My husband and I laughed so hard we were practically sobbing. Such a funny guy. The playing was also simply...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Am I Alone in This?

Just gotta find the song that suits your voice. If one doesn't exist, you can write it.
  19. Re: Can an instrument be too good that it stunts your growth?

I recently had a picking party at my house. At one point there were four or five nice mandolins rotating among all the players, occasionally resting on the couch awaiting their next pilots. So much...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin etiquette at Old Time sessions?

No matter what I do or how much I study I feel like a bull in a china shop at many old time jams. At one jam a "wise elder" told me that mandolins simply have no place in the genre. Whatcha gonna do....
  21. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Pour one out for this guy. I've never seen somebody admit they were wrong on the internet before. Hat off to you, sir!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Squirrel Hunters - Which version?

https://youtu.be/573q7OSm_aI
  23. Replies
    Views

Just got a setup, and I thought the mandolin was sounding pretty darn good!

https://youtu.be/0JD4mq242xk

https://youtu.be/CSoaS6tLQEQ
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Any jams in southern Vermont?

Hi Brian, nice to meet you! The jam landscape in Vermont is just reformulating now after a year of Covid dormancy. All the jams I know about are quite far north of you. You might have just as much...
  25. Re: Need Help with String Choice for Sweaty Hands

I don't have useful advice, but I wanted to post to commiserate. FWIW, I never found a good solution, just accepted the need to change strings often, but as I have gotten older my hands have become...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4