Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

Lovely tribute. You knew Alan much better that I but your description working and interacting with him is exactly how I imagined it would be -- such a genuine man. I'm glad you mentioned his...
  2. Replies
    Views

And Alan always spoke so highly of you Skip!
  3. Replies
    Views

That's the way it was with Alan Niederland -- aka "AlanN". To me, Alan was a special person, though the closest I got to meeting him was many thousands of emails and two phone calls. Despite that, ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: K-1 Tone Bar Dimensions

This video might be useful to you as you proceed.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: J.D. Crowe passes

Another great one leaves us RIP. Time flies -- I feel older reading these comments (I'm 77 too!). We were both young men with long blonde hair when I first saw JD Crowe at the Red Slipper Lounge...
  6. Re: Walnut Valley National Mandolin Contest winners

Congrats to all of those guys -- all I can say is it must have been some pretty stiff competition if he was the third place man! If I had hands like his I could pick too! (maybe).

7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

For sure it is not.. I think Nanci was dealing with a chronic disease for a decade or more? Sad news I kind of lost track of her and her music last couple of decades.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace - Byron Berline passes

Great great great now that is hard core and raw -- makes me feel half a century younger! RIP Mr. Berline and thank you.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmo-chord

When you think that you've seen everything you haven't.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: TablEdit is back!

Glad that the venerable list of tune tabs has found a new home -- thanks to the MC

Question. I have well over 100 tunes in tab I created from various midi and abc files. The problem is that many...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Classified etiquette

Guess you'd have to ask him?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin flagship song?

Yeah I read that article when it came out about a decade ago I guess? But I had heard that story about the mandolin player getting the short end of the stick before Graham's excellent article which...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin flagship song?

Maggie May is definitely forgettable AFAIC anyway.

Ray Jackson the mandolinist got only couple hours of studio musician pay for adding that cool riff that made the song stand out and probably...
  14. Replies
    Views

Apollo picks -- another option for you

I noticed an add in the MCC a few weeks ago (Ad #162803; mandolin accessories section) and was attracted to the fact that they were made only about 100 miles from home and also on the company's web...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to humidity?

A lot of those inexpensive hygrometers are not too accurate -- but I think they are reasonably precise? Years ago I got crazy about humidity and had about 10 - 12 of them around the house. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Repairing varnish finishes

I was just watching one of hers and Joel Wood's videos yesterday! :) I leaned recently that Joel also play the mandola with great aplomb.
  17. That is a really generous and useful thing to do...

That is a really generous and useful thing to do Scott Napier! It makes me think that since I have recently confirmed that I am not getting any younger that I should do something similar? Maybe we...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello "strum along" chords

Yes thanks for the comments! My interest seems from the conundrum that I describe in post #13 -- the fact that some chord formations work on a mandolin but not a mandocello. I realize others have...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello "strum along" chords

Sure if it is useful then add it to your presentation. If anyone has some further suggestions for the list please let me know. Thanks! :)
  20. Replies
    Views

Mandocello "strum along" chords

I was looking around on my hard drive for some other document today and I came across this old project that I did 12 years ago.

I recall that I was interested at the time in experimenting with...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Spirit Varnish for a mandolin?

Yup I think you are both right!! :) Probably a little too much sandarac and mastic.

As a result the varnish is slightly cloudy even after filtering. It looks much like a colloidal suspension...
  22. Replies
    Views

Very cool story and history. You must belong to a very small group who has played a mandolin in the Himalayas! :)
    I actually considered buying some Fankincense just because of the Christmas carol...
  23. Replies
    Views

Well its a little OT but I started my chemistry career in the mid-1960s at that time we (chemists) treated benzene as just another very useful lab solvent -- like you kind of suggest even the smell...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Block in-lays.

I think that it would be tricky to inlay blocks on an already radiused fret board. In the past I have added a 10" radius to a flat board which already had block inlays and that was another set of...
  25. Re: Canadian sparrows are ditching traditional songs for a new tu

The part on Canadian music my wife and I used to go to the Maritimes almost every summer. We especially like Cape Breton but would go to PEI too. Newfoundland was on our list but that won't happen...
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4