Re: Northfield mandolins

Very nice!! Congrats!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando on the boat?

Wish I had this problem.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What are you playing for the holidays?

This tune has always been a favorite of mine around this time of year. Those Charlie Brown Holiday specials were magic. I worked it up a while back. Here's my version...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Even the Big Boys get nervous

I started to just let this go, but I can't. If this is referring to my original post, you need to go back and read it. I was expressing nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Steffey and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Even the Big Boys get nervous

I originally started this thread hoping to get a discussion going about how the pros can overcome being nervous and still nail a performance. Or how seeing them nervous makes them human and maybe...
  6. Re: How Long Did You Fight MAS Before Submitting?

I bought my first mandolin in 1982. Within a few years I figured out it wasn't the best sounding mandolin. It was thin and harsh. For the next 29 years, yes, TWENTY NINE, it was a love hate...
  7. Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

I have a copy of the AJ album. I've been listening for about a week. Its as "bluegrass" (whatever that is) as anything I have, and I have a bunch all the way back to the JD Crowe and the New South...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

This directly from Lance LeRoy, not me......

"Lance LeRoy, bluegrass enthusiast, band manager and well-respected Lester Flatt biographer, gave his opinion of bluegrass at its best, “Looking back...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: the mandolin in bluegrass?

At the risk of riling the Monroe faithful, to credit Bill Monroe with being single handedly responsible for what we know as Bluegrass today is simply incorrect. The truth is his sound was foundering...
  10. Replies
    Views

Alan Jackson at the Station Inn

Anyone tune in to the Alan Jackson bluegrass show from the Station Inn last night? Steffey was awesome.
  11. Replies
    Views

The Scoville Units

A while back I bought a copy of Chinkapin Hunting by the "Scoville Units" on iTunes. The mandolin on that tune is just transcendental! Recently I was going to go back and get the whole album and now...
  12. Re: Looking to buy nice mandolin. Why so expensive?

Many years ago I contracted a "small luthier with little notoriety" to build a mandolin. They had a sample mando that was very nice so I paid half down and told them to get started. I was young and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

I went to see Mountain Heart here at the Riverbend Festival in Chattanooga, TN last night. What a great show! Aaron Ramsey was absolutely amazing... and his Northfield was every bit as stunning as...