Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Felt under the bridge feet?

Joseph Curtin, one of the most highly respected violin builders today, does little thin shims under his violin bridges on purpose. Here's a link to the article which explains why he started doing...
  2. Re: Let's have a hypothetical discussion: Can we improve mando de

So I spent some time reflecting on my own question: why would I change the mandolin, and for what purpose?

And I realized my design would involve:
    - Longer scale length, because I have fingers...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

What cuyuga red said. I'll tell you a little secret if you promise not to tell anyone. Promise? OK. I traded a Red Diamond (RD) 1922 David Grisman "Crusher" model to get the F5G. Shhhh!

OK, OK,...
  4. Replies
    Views

no strings attached (single)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GGdg6u_n9g
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: There’s A reason I Don’t Go To Crafts Fairs

Please don't tell me that they made lamps out of dogs...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Chords on an Oval Hole?

Yes outside of BG chopping is not usually a good idea.

The mandolin is capable of anything and everything. Here is one of favorite singer song writers, and his mandolin work is really delightful....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Lol. :) But, not me! If there are any compliments to be dispensed, I'd rather they compliment my playing (on the rare occasions when I play something halfway good), as opposed to complimenting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Hear, hear. Except if Demetrius were to try the blindfold test (originally suggested in an early post by his wife), he would need to start a thread about which blindfold he ought to use, and then...
  9. Replies
    Views

When listening to Tone Poems, the one unifying factor is that every guitar sounds like Tony Rice and every mandolin sounds like David Grisman. In spite of having an extremely varied collection of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Is the mandolin inefficient?

"I wonder: Does any other instrument have as much incidental noise as the mandolin? By that, I mean:
    The ratio of (pick noise/finger squeak/taps and knocks) to (notes produced)"

Just one...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Is the mandolin inefficient?

This is more a statement of your paradigm as you think it applies to everyone, so the statement that these are factors that make a mandolin somehow inherently deficient I find not based on anything I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thao Nguyen

Before each show, I have a playlist of tunes just to fill the dead air for 45 mins from doors to showtime, and then after the show during the reception for the artists. I'll mix some of the usual...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mandolin

[QUOTE=xav88;1590737] "And no renting where I am to be honest."

If you are interested in starting on lute, look at the Lute Society of America's rental program: ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Craigslist cocobolo....

Sorry. I thought you might be familiar with Coco allergy,but thought that maybe someone else could benefit from the information.
    Got any links to pictures of your work?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Craigslist cocobolo....

Ivan is right. Cocobolo is HIGHLY allergenic. A woodworking friend told me "there are two kinds of people. People who are allergic to Cocobolo, and people who aren't allergic to Cocobolo [U]yet....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin value question Epiphone MM 30

And I for one appreciate the moderators keeping it "family-friendly!" Thank you moderators!!! :mandosmiley:
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin value question Epiphone MM 30

We live in Albany, Texas. It's about two hours west of Fort Worth. The closest "real" town is Abilene. There are 3 music stores there. The largest one markets mostly band instruments. One is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin thought for the day

Then the shirt would cost 30% more for the same level garment.
  19. Thread: Rigel

by stevedenver
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rigel

I think because Rigels are curvy, the electric guitar/mando assumption is applied.

Loar killer????

I dont even think this way. Its not a Gil, you realize.
    More to the point, i have never...
  20. Replies
    Views

Andrew Buckner- "Hallelujah"

Hey guys! Just wanted to post a quick video since I haven't put one on the café in awhile. I am using a lovely TKD Falcon on this video and I hope you enjoy! I am about to start work on "Coffee and a...
  21. Re: 1906 Gibson A3 Mandolin, Orville Label, Craigslist Tampa

Maybe he has a couple of The Loar mandolins ... factory seconds perhaps.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson Carbon Fiber Mandolin Prototype

Marty - You could make a 'sacrificial' lay-up to your spec.inside the mould tool,& then cast a silicon rubber 'Intensifier plug' inside it. Simply make sure that the surface of the plug is as smooth...
  23. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

Wow, a turn into genre bashing. Seems like a convenient outlet for some views that have no place here. That'll be the end of it.

As sung by Del McCoury:

Eli Renfro killed his wife
    With a long...
  24. Still at it....Occasionally..... The "White Budgie"

Thought you might find this amusing.....I finished this a while back and the owner jogged my memory having posted some stuff of his band at Glastonbury festival....This was a really fun build - he...
  25. Early 10,000 Maniacs show with 2 mandolin songs (video)

This was a show from after The Wishing Chair album, in their hometown, at a local college. The songs are Everyone a Puzzle Lover (9:50) and Back O' the Moon (13:00), which is one of my favorite songs...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4